Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Book Club


As part of the new Enrichment groups . . . my ward started a Book Club. Problem is - there was already a Book Club in the ward and they didn't really want us to join the other one. I thought that was kind of weird but it is mainly some of the "older ladies" in the ward and they have been doing it for 3 years so you almost don't even want to intrude. Anyway - so far there are only 3 of us in this new book club.

We had our first official meeting last night and the book up for discussion was "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger. It's a decent book and covers a lot of different themes but overall - not really my favorite book because it is rather slow. It's told from the viewpoint of an 11 year old boy with Asthma and tells the story of the family as they travel across the badlands after their fugitive brother who killed 2 men in self-defense. There are spiritual undertones of the small miracles that happen in every day life that many times go unnoticed and the close bond that families can have.

Up for next month is the book "Hoot" (the movie either just came out or is coming out - I can't remember). When I was at BYU - I took a children's literature class that I just loved. We read a lot of juvenile literature like the book "Holes" and Cynthia Voigt's "Homecoming". Another girl in book club took this same class at BYU - so we thought it would be fun every other month to do more of a "light reading" in juvenile literature since they are such great books that can cover very powerful and mature themes. Plus we're hoping that we'll be able to recruit more of the younger ladies in the ward who many not have time to read a ton but would be able to get through a "fast" read.

Since graduating from BYU - I've been pretty good about doing my readings for "fun". I try and read at least one book a week. I'm one of those people that will read just about every genre! From Jane Austen type novels to "1776". I've learned though that the adventure type books - like Da Vinci Code and even Harry Potter - give me some of the craziest dreams. It's pretty funny.

Anyway - so I know Jessica did a similar post this week . . .But I'm always looking for new suggestions on books! What are some of your favorites? Any books that you would recommend for a book club?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

hey,

i've actually read peace, like a river and i really liked. you're right though, about it being a little slower. we have a ward book club ( that has managed to survive amidst minor controversey) and some books that we've read are "ella enchanted" ( juvenile lit. book), "girl with the pearl earring" (one of the controversial ones) and "cold sassy tree." all of these were pretty good i thought. the last one took me a few pages to get into it, but i ended up liking it. perhaps because its set in the south :)

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

I read a book recently called "Imaginary Men" by an Indian author - I can't remember her name. Anyway, I enjoyed it b/c it was a/b an Indian woman who was pushing 30 and was still unmarried. To get her traditional Indian family off her back she makes up a fiance. It was cute, an easy read and amazing to see the similarities between Indian and Mormon cultures. I think you'd enjoy it!

Christianne said...

I love the scarlet letter, tales of two cities, Nicholas Sparks books, dan brown's books and I love Kevin Leman's books. You should read First time mom it is great - I really want to buy it. Also the birth order book. Biographys are also great.

My favorite childrens book was the five little peppers and how they grew, the Anne of Green Gables books, Little Men, and the little princess (the one Shirley temple did as a movie).

I really like to read but tend to stick to the classics and authors I know because everytime I pick up a new book there is stuff in it I don't want to read about so I would love to hear more about the books you do in your book club.

heidi said...

isn't it odd that ward book clubs can often have so much controversy? we now have two clubs in our ward, one "official" and the "renegade" one that i am a member of. keep the suggestions coming. thomas and i just listened to the killer angels by michael shaara and the picture of dorian gray by oscar wylde. both interesting....

kristenita said...

I LOVED 'peace like a river' - randomly picked it up at an airport before it was all the buzz just because the cover was intriguing (I know you aren't supposed to do that...)

for some other good books, check my blog on the side bar "kristen's reading" - right now my book club is reading 'life of pi' by yann martell, but I keep getting sidetracked!