Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me!




So I admit - it's a shamless plug for my birthday today!! It's funny though how I've always looked forward to birthdays but as I get older ....I am not such a big fan. Don't get me wrong - I love the attention and presents (ha ha) but it's sometimes a reminder of how fast life is going and I'm not ready for that! But - I'm going to just live up my birthday - eat lots of yummy foods and have a great day!

I thought it would be a good day to follow up Jessica yet again (there is a link to her page somewhere on my page). My parents named me Lachelle Tenae becuase . ..... First of all - my parents met at BYU. While they were there my mom had a class with a girl named Lachelle. She never knew her but really liked the name and always wanted to use it. They made up my middle name Tenae because they thought it sounded good with Lachelle.

I always liked my name growing up. It was just different enough to stand out but not a name people thought my parents were crazy for naming me. I have always had problems with people pronouncing it though. To me - it's not really that hard! Look at it and figure it out. I usually have to clarify it and say - it's just like Michelle but with an L. I have gotten into the habit on the phone with clients and such just to let them think my name is Michelle because sometimes it is just more of a hassle to deal with than to try and get them to figure out what my name really is. I'm working on getting my neices and nephews to just call my Chelle because they can't figure out the whole La part of my name either! I plan to name my children names that are just slightly different like mine. Enough where they hopefully won't know too many people with the same name but people won't think it's crazy. Although Rob had such a common name that he wants really bizarre names. So beware of my future children and their names! They might be crazy.

I had never met anyone with my name until I went to BYU and there was a girl with a somewhat similar name (LiChelle) but she pronounced it Lee-Shelle. And then I moved to Mesa, AZ and was sitting in a singles ward and looked at the program and about had a heart attack when I saw my name next to the ward organist title! I play the piano but no one in this ward even knew me. Good thing I looked further and realized that there was a different last name attached to the Lachelle. Kind of creeped me out though since I had never met someone with my name before. The ward was so big that it took me months to meet this other girl with my name and then it was funny when we did meet - both of us with dark hair, darkish skin, dark features, etc. For the most part though - people have usually never heard of my name and give me comments like - that is pretty or that is unique (never know if that one is a good or bad thing).

I did have to tease my parents after I went to BYU though. Before Freshman year starts - they send out those letters that tell you the names, addresses, etc of your future roommates. Well my full maiden name was Lachelle Tenae White. I had never really thought about it - but apparently to a good portion of my new roommates ... . they thought they were getting a black girl for a roommate! So that was a good laugh when we all got there and realized I could pass for just about every other ethnicity BUT black. My mom and I had a good laugh about my "black name" that they gave me.

Anyway - that is probably enough for day.

3 comments:

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Can you believe we're now in our mid to late 20s?? Doesn't seem right, huh? Well, I hope you have a FABulous day and that Rob is extra sweet to you. Love you!!

Helaman said...

Happy Birthday Lachelle! I enjoy reading your blog. You need to get that husband of yours to add a few words. Hope you have a fun B-day.

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday! I hope it was fun. I loved learning about your name too.