Sunday, May 28, 2006

Happy Memorial Day

I'd like to take a minute to pay tribute to all of those who have fought in our armed forces. My husband Rob actually was in the Army for a while. He ended up breaking BOTH of his ankles though and they sent him home (lucky for me since I met him when he was home). But it holds a special place in my heart that my husband was willing to go and fight for his country.

I think I've always had the feeling of patriotism. Growing up - I loved Memorial Day because my backyard overlooked a cemetary and the section closest to my house had many people that died in the wars and their tombstones were covered with little American flags on that day. And they always did a special ceremony on Memorial Day where the local military branch (I lived close to McChord Air Force Base and Fort Lewis) would come and do a speech and shoot off their guns. It was a great way to grow up realizing the importance of Memorial Day and it not just being a day off of work or school.

I've had the chance to go to Washington DC a couple of times - but most recently, my friend Nicole and I went out there in 2003 to visit Shanna. I didn't think I was a very emotional person but visiting many of the historical sites made me teary eyed. As I get older - I think I realize more the sacrifices that others have gone through so that I can enjoy these freedoms.




Nicole and I at Arlington National Cemetary



Iwojima




Happy Memorial Day!

No comments: