Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A little thing called My Life Tuesday (to spin off of another blogger's post)

Ok - so after reading Jessica's blog where she borrowed an idea from another blogger called "My Life Monday" . ... I had to copy it! Only since I'm a day behind . .. .it'll have to be My Life Tuesday.

My Life Tuesday: The Story of My Spouse

I will try and put this story into a shorter version - so bear with me!

It first goes back to my senior year at BYU. I was pretty close to graduation when my serious boyfriend at the time decided it wasn't going to work out. I was obviously crushed because I had been procrastinating what I was going to do after graduation and that just didn't help me decide! I subsequently came down with mono (somehow he managed to avoid that dreadful fate) and spent the last month of school pretty much cooped up in my bed and trying to finish my thesis and trying to convince my teachers I was really sick enough to be at home and not at school.

But I digress . . . After graduation I had no job and no idea what I was going to do with my life. So I went on vacation to Hawaii, down to Arizona, and up to Washington and tried to apply for jobs in between those events. Pretty much I was just stalling on what to do with my life! My parents finally said - either go to Arizona (my grandparents had a house down there that they weren't using) or come to Washington. So I finally bid Provo goodbye and decided to make the move to Arizona (I had gone there for a friends wedding that month and met lots of cute guys so I figured it couldn't be that bad).

On my way to Arizona - I stopped in Vegas to stay with my aunt and her family. During that weekend I met a lady in her ward who had a brother who lived in Arizona that she wanted to set me up with. I didn't think much of that but after I moved to Arizona - her brother Josh did call and we went out quite a few times that summer but he was heading back to BYU to finish school.

I settled into my grandparents house and started making friends in Arizona and dating a lot and figured it really wouldn't be too long before I would find Mr. Right. Instead, the next 3 years I had a great time meeting new people, traveling a ton, and just enjoying life. I had my heartbroken plenty so I was getting pretty sick of dating and just ready to be friends first instead of jumping into things!


Summer 2004 found me going on a hiking trip to Havasupai, AZ. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth! But you have to backpack in on a long hike to appreciate the beauty. We had a big group of us going and turns out that in our group was my old friend Josh (remember the kid I first met through my aunt's ward in Vegas?). Josh is a really friendly sort so while I was in my "friend" train of thought - I figured I should start calling Josh more and see who he knew that I could be friends with.


So the next week - my roommates and I decided to invite people over for ice cream and game night at our house. It was the end of July and easily over 100 degrees outside at night and for some reason - our air conditioning was broken in the house. It was so hot in our house that the ice cream was all melting! Josh ended up bringing over his friend Rob with him that night. A lot of guys had tried to see if they could fix our air conditioning that night but were unsuccessful. I didn't really notice Rob until he managed to fix our air conditioning and then I got a good look at him and thought he was cute! :) But he didn't talk to me much so I wasn't too concerned with him.

The next day - I got a call from Josh inviting my friends and I to a fish cookout at Rob's house. Rob's roommate had just gotten back from Alaska where he worked on a fishing boat. I have to admit I wasn't really thinking of Rob at this point, but of what cute guys might be there. We went over and had a good time hanging out with Rob and his roommates that night and then a few days later - Rob got my phone number and invited my friend Nicole and I to go jet skiing. We had fun and then they took us to a movie afterward. The next week Rob took me on a date to go off roading and he runs a pool business and forgot to latch the back of his truck and he had pool gear fall all over the mountain. It was pretty funny!

The clincher for us really starting to date though came about a week and a half after we first met. I was still somewhat in my mindset that we were just going to be friends and had even told him that on my first date that I wasn't looking for anything. It was late and I had come home to find that the water in my house wasn't working. Toilets wouldn't flush, we couldn't shower, etc. Not a good thing for 2 girls to have to deal with! I remembered that Rob had done some plumbing work before so I decided to chance it and call him at the late hour and see if he could come and help. He came over right away and proceeded to work on our problem and ending up having a few little situations that resulted him being soaking wet and after about 2 hours - finally was able to fix the problem. He told me as payback that I had to give him a kiss . . . so I obliged! The rest is basically history. 6 weeks from the time we first met we were engaged! And then married 3 1/2 months later on December 30 in the Mesa Arizona Temple.



This picture was taken on our honeymoon in Cabo.

5 comments:

Christina said...

Lachelle, love the story and maybe I'm slow but why is it called My Life Tuesday?

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

I love it, I love it! I already knew the basic story, but it's so fun to read it again!!

Jessica said...

I had never heard this story! I'm so glad you followed suit! Now if only everyone else will...

j/k. Thanks for posting your story.

Jessica said...

Oh and I love that you called it My Life Tuesday! Very clever.

Emily C said...

hey!! i just barely found your blog!! I've tried clicking on your name on my comments, but your profile didn't have a link to your blog! alas, i'm here... and i love it. love the love story!! we also went to cabo on our honeymoon!! have you been back since?