Monday, June 05, 2006

Laundry Room

Fall of 2005 brought a microburst to my neighborhood. A microburst is kind of like a mini tornado where it is really strong powerful winds but concentrated on a specific area. The center of this microburst was the corner of where we live. We were pretty lucky in that only a section of our roof was torn off! My neighbors had most of their roof torn off and a fence taken down. I watched from my house only to see shingles flying off my roof and into my fruit trees. Luckily my dog Max had just come inside or I think he would have been blown over the fence!

So this brings me to the current story. As many of you know - Phoenix went an insane amount of days without rain. Because of this - we completely forgot about this little section of roof that needed to be fixed (it was on the back of the house and really small). Middle of March brought a huge rain storm (tons of people had leaking roofs, flooding,etc) Sure enough - I woke up to the sound of dripping in my house and wake up Rob and we both go into our little laundry room only to watch the ceiling basically drop out as we watch. Major problems! So Rob calls his dad and they run off to Home Depot to now try and fix what part of the roof that they can. And we also start the fun task of cleaning out the room. It was an adventure to say the least. EVERYTHING in the entire room was covered with drywall ceiling or insulation. And soaking wet on top of it all. And of course after going months with no rain - it poured that entire day and didn't even give us a break!

Hole in Ceiling




I had to deal with food storage taking up a whole section of my kitchen while I waited for Rob to have time to patch the ceiling in there. Since everything was already out of the room anyway - I got this great idea to paint the room. I had it all envisioned in my mind a really pretty bluish green (like the Tahitian ocean) with white shelving. Well, once again I learned that the color on the little strips you look at while at Home Depot . .. . is not really the color you end up with on the wall. Luckily this is a tiny room! And I just don't have the energy to bother repainting in the real color I was going for since no one really goes in this room but me. I just have to smile every time I walk in the room since it's so bright and not what I was going for! Lesson learned. But my room is FINALLY back in order and I got my kitchen back and suddenly feel like I have a big house because there is not all of this stuff in the wrong location! And just for your info - this is my multipurpose room. It houses everything from my food storage, to appliances that don't fit in my kitchen, etc. I dream of the day when I have an actual separate pantry. :)



My new Aqua Laundry Room

1 comment:

Emily C said...

wow! what a huge difference. That color brings that room to life! I wish i could add color to our plain white walls, but our landlord would freak out. oh the joys of renting!