Sunday, June 25, 2006

Scrapbooking

Back in January when our ward switched over to 9 a.m. church (I had been at 1 p.m. or later church since I was probably a sophomore at BYU) . .. I daydreamed of all the things I could do with my free time in the afternoon of Sundays. My biggest dream was that I was going to get back into scrapbooking! My logic was that it's "personal/family history" so it would be appropriate. And I figured it would be good use of my time rather than taking a really long nap which would then keep me up late and ruin my whole week of sleeping. I had completed my scrapbook through most of my senior year of college but hadn't done anything since moving to Arizona. None of my trips were documented and of course I still have the wedding scrapbook to eventually get to!

My aunt Misti (when I was visiting her family over Thanksgiving) showed me these little 9x9 scrapbooks that her kids had started doing. I thought they were so cute and would be perfect to use for the trips I have taken over the last few years! So off I went to research more about these small books. I actually then decided to use the 8x8 size scrapbooks and found a good deal online and proceeded to order them. I went to my favorite scrapbook store (Scrapbooks, Etc in Mesa, AZ) and stocked up some cardstock and decided on a theme and found a few things to go with it. My first task was to document a trip I had taken with some girl friends to NYC in 2004. It was only a 4 day trip but we packed a lot into that 4 day trip and since there were 4 of us with cameras - we ended up with a TON of pictures.



It has taken me about 6 months but I finally finished my New York City scrapbook today! I am a very simple scrapbooker so it really shouldn't have taken me so long but my ideal Sundays often were interrupted by a much needed nap, or church meetings, etc. I have to admit that I love the 8x8 scrapbooks! I don't see myself using them for everything but for a small "theme" book - they are just the right size. I like it because you put just one picture on a page if you want to and it doesn't look too bare or you can crop pictures and fit more than one. So now I'm on to my next theme back - a trip to Washington DC in 2003. Hopefully this won't take me as long! :)

2 comments:

Ted and Hilery said...

Congats on finishing your NY scrap book. Now post more pictures of Max and Roxie! I miss hearing abour your pups.

Jessica said...

i love the idea of doing a smaller sized scrapbook. meanwhile i'm still plugging away on trying to finish my college years scrapbook! all i've got left is my senior year, but i started the project 3 years ago now, so we'll see when i'll finally finish!