Monday, July 17, 2006

Another Reason to Live in Arizona


In these hot summer months - it is really hard to remember exactly why I live in Arizona ....but I found another good reason to stay here. They finally opened my favorite restaurant - Cafe Rio!! Those of you who went to BYU or who live in Utah are probably really familiar with this very popular Mexican restaurant. The food is hard to describe since it seems to be a cross blend of different tastes. But basically it's very yummy and addicting! During my senior year at BYU - I know my friends and I ate at Cafe Rio AT LEAST once a week - if not more! I would usually skip my lunch meal on the days we were going to Cafe Rio so I could try and eat even more of the wonderful food. And afterwards even though we were stuffed full - we would usually head off to Sonic for a root beer flurry! Good times. Since moving away from Utah - I have craved the food from Cafe Rio and missed it more than anything else. Every trip I have made to Utah since graduation I've managed to fit in a stop to my favorite restaurant! And over a year ago we actually got a Costa Vida restaurant which was pretty similar to Cafe Rio but not quite as good. It worked to help fill the cravings though! But now this girl is one happy camper and perfectly content to stay living in Arizona since I know there is now a Cafe Rio in town. So if you get a chance to visit Cafe Rio and you haven't been - I can give you a few suggestions! The shredded chicken salad with the creamy tomatillo ranch dressing and the chicken burrito with smothered in the green enchilada sauce are my personal favorites. But I've never heard of anything bad at this restaurant. Now I'm just counting down the days until Wednesday night when Rob and I have some free time in our schedule to head over to the new Cafe Rio on Gilbert and Baseline in Gilbert, AZ.

5 comments:

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

I AM SO JEALOUS! I was just talking a/b Cafe Rio yesterday. Some friends in the ward went to India to volunteer at an orphanage and the owners of Cafe Rio were there are well. Apparently, they're not going to franchise the restaurant, so you are one LUCKY girl to have it coming to a neighborhood near you. I'm green w/envy!

heidi said...

jealous. that is all i have to say. sometimes i pretend that qdoba is cafe rio. but i am just tricking myself. i always enjoyed the black bean burrito. but then, is anything bad there??? besides the lack of seating?

The*Evans*Family said...

is it a cafe rio opening or just another costa vida?

Ted and Hilery said...

Ted and I are both jealous, Cafe Rio was our first date! We have a couple restaurants here that are similar to Cafe Rio but no where near as good. When we first moved here we missed it terribly but since then we have resigned ourselves to living without Cafe Rio. Ted always LOVED the salmon taco's and you can't forget the delicious desserts, Dulce De Leche and Chocolate Flan with Berries!

kristenita said...

sweet. LOVE CAFE RIO. we have a costa vida - just opened next to my hospital and we LOVE IT! the salad tastes exactly how I remember with the dressing and everything. . . yummy - I will be sad to be back in buffalo NY where the mexican food is TOTALLY DISGUSTING. :( boohoo