Sunday, October 08, 2006

Locked Out


When Rob and I were first married about 2 years ago, he didn't understand why I always locked the doors! He would leave to run and errand down the street and would come back to find the door locked on him. I've been working on him the whole time to get in the habit of locking doors for safetty reasons. As we kind of live in more of the ghetto part of Mesa and we've had things stolen from our cars and our yards - he has come to understand the importance of locking the doors.

Yesterday Rob went paint balling in the morning and then stopped by the house for a few minutes before heading out to work for the afternoon. I had been working outside on refinishing some furniture for the nursery. I was just doing the priming coat and asked him to bring the glider outside (I have decided to refinish that chair white also). He brought the glider outside and left for work and I finished up the priming coat on the changing table.

I went to go inside for a quick break before starting on the rocker. Much to my surprise - the sliding glass door was locked! I had him trained him so well that after putting the chair outside for me - he had locked the door. So here I am in my paint clothes and locked out of my own house. Of course I don't have my cell phone out with me at the time either. I proceed to check all the windows on the back of the house on the off chance that they were unlocked but no such luck. I figure that I'm going to have to go to the neighbors house and call Rob to come home and let me in. I walk around the side of the house and go to push open our side gate only to have it met with much resistance. That's when it dawns on me that our work trailer (Rob has it for a separate part of the pool business) that hasn't been there for months is currently pushed up against that gate! I can't even get out of my backyard!! I'm going to have to climb the fence only it's not an easy task when you're 21 weeks pregnant and have this little belly that gets in the way. Not to mention it's still a good 90 degrees outside. I finally manage to climb up the fence and onto the top of the trailer but now I have to get off the trailer. I'm a little scared to jump that 8-10 feet and harm the baby but I really see no other option here. So I said a quick little prayer and jumped. I landed on two feet on the gravel part of our yard but seemed to be ok. My neighbors were home and had a good laugh at my predicament but I was able to call Rob and have him come home and let me back in the house.

Lesson learned: 1) Make sure you remind your husband when and when not to lock the door 2) Always keep your cell phone with you - even if you are just going in your back yard.

And I have felt the little girl kick a few times since yesterday so hopefully I didn't startle her too much! :)

2 comments:

Kristen Michele said...

yay she's kicking!! i'm so excited for you :) i want to see pictures of your little belly too!!!

Emily C said...

your story was too funny. getting locked out is one of the most frustrating things!