Saturday, February 17, 2007

Eliza (Ellie) Colleen is here!

It's nice to finally be home from the hospital! Although I could get used to having people wait on me like that. :)

We had our baby girl on Thursday, February 15th. Her due date! It was actually a great labor and delivery. I was terrifed going in but I could do that part over!

Rob and I went to the hospital at 5 a.m. on Thursday morning. I was being induced and it took a while to get things going. I almost passed out when they were putting the IV in (I think from nerves) but they started the Pitocin a little before 6 a.m. I was at a very solid 3 going in so I waited about an hour until I was dilated to a 4 before asking for the epidural. I'm definitely glad I got the epidural!! Nicole's roommate Jacqui was my nurse that day and she was fabulous. I watched the news for an hour or so and then my doctor came in and broke my water around 8:30. The baby and I both were having some problems after that so I had to wear an oxygen mask for the rest of the time but it wasn't a big deal. I was nervous watching the monitor of the baby's heartrate because it kept dropping down really low and then shooting up. Jacqui came back in at 10 and checked me and I was already dilated to a 7! She took me off the Pitocin at that point and then an hour later I called for her because I was feeling tons of pressure. She checked and said I was ready to push and the baby was already at 0 station so it shouldn't be too bad. I think everyone was shocked that I was ready so fast! My doctor even said that if he had known I was going to go that fast - they would have turned off the Pitocin a lot earlier. Jacqui had me start pushing and we did 3 or 4 push sessions. The doctor came in and had me push a couple times and she was born! It was a pretty surreal experience since I couldn't feel myself pushing or anything and I did have to have a small episiotomy but overall it seemed like it was over and done with really quick. So from the time they started my pitocin to the time I delivered was a little under 6 hours and only 30 minutes of that was pushing. Apparently my little girl just needed a jump start to get going.

We had a few name ideas ready but ended up immediately going with Eliza after we saw her. We will probably be calling her Ellie most of the time but wanted a more formal name. We're kind of funny that way! And then obviously the Colleen is after my mom. We haven't decided who she looks like! My dad thinks she looks just like me as a baby but I am not sure yet. But we'll keep her - we think she's cute! :)

Little Ellie has been great so far! She has nursed without a problem and is sleeping and eating great. I actually had to wake her up after 6 hours of sleeping on Thursday night just so she would eat! But now she is on a more regular eating schedule of every 3-4 hours. I knew I would have a small baby but she is so tiny that she doesn't fit into any of the clothes we have for her! Luckily Rob's sister's sister in law (if that makes sense) had a preemie girl a few months ago and is dropping off a bunch of clothes for us to use.

I'll put in a few pictures. Rob has mainly been in charge of the picture taking and I realized now that I have to take a lot more since it's not really his thing! I am going to feed her and try and take a nap.



When she first came out! Doctor was nice enough to clean her off for me pretty quickly before I held her.



Hard to see but it's her first weighing. 6 lbs 0 ounces!



All bundled up for sleep



Our new little family!



Ellie and Dad

11 comments:

Jessica said...

congratulations! i LOVE the name(s). i'm the same way about wanting a formal name, but using a nickname. eliza and ellie are both super cute names in my book! she is so TINY. i know what you mean about clothes not fitting. sophie is the same way and she's even a little bigger than ellie. thats awesome that you'll be getting some preemie clothes for her. anyway, good luck with everything. congrats, again!

Kristen Michele said...

I already e-mailed you congrats but I wanted to say it here too. It sounds like your labor went really well! I'm so happy for you guys. Your little family is perfect! And I also love that you'll call her Ellie. It is very cute, but so is Eliza. Mariana thinks she is cute too (she wanted me to tell you that!) Talk to you soon!

Shanna said...

Congrats mom :) I'm so happy for you - and so glad that everything went so smoothly for everyone! She is absolutely precious and I can't wait to come visit!! I just wish she'd still be so tiny when I see her! Have fun now that she's finally here :)

kristenita said...

YAY mommy! congrats & good job pushing for only 30 mins. I've been thinking about you a lot and so glad to hear everything went so well!
I'm glad nursing and sleeping are going well for you. it's good advice: sleep when the baby sleeps - helped me make it through the early weeks much easier! who cares if the house gets dirty - sleep mama!
oh, and cute name!

The*Evans*Family said...

So glad she is here! I ran into Rachel Olsen at Wal-Mart and she told me you had the baby and named her Eliza. Super cute. My sister's name is Eliza (Liza). Can't wait to come over and see her. We'll give you time to settle in though!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Yea Lachelle!! What a smooth labor and delivery story - congratulations. And what a precious darling of a baby girl!! I totally like the name Ellie. I think it fits for your daughter. And six pounds! Wow. Everett was a monster at 9 lbs, 1oz, 21 inches long. Yea for your little angel! Can't wait to see more pictures.

PS - And you look GREAT post partum. I was so swollen everywhere, I seriously looked like someone with hives. It took me two or three days for the swelling to go down. Congrats again!!

The Blakes said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful family!

Shae said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad that you and Ellie are healthy and doing so well! I am glad that it was an "easy" delivery too! Hip Hip Horray!!

Christianne said...

Congrats! I can't wait for mine to come now that I am starting to see little babies everywhere. I am jealous that you had such an easy and SHORT delivery. Lucky girl!! Keep the pictures coming!

Emily C said...

Congrats! congrats! (i'm a little late :)

Adorable Adorable! Ellie is precious!

Anonymous said...

get them legs spread mom show me hercunny