Friday, March 16, 2007

Baby Insomnia

Can newborns have some form of insomnia? It sure seemed like Ellie was dealing with it yesterday!! She took maybe 1 hour worth of naps between 10 a.m. on Thursday morning until 1 a.m. on Friday morning. It was quite bizarre. She's had other days where she is awake alot but never that much. And she wasn't even really fussy or anything. Granted - I had to be in sight at all times or she would get fussy but she was pretty happy to just stare around. I was the one struggling because I wanted a nap and she would seem to cry every time I closed my eyes. I also learned yesterday that I can sleep in a sitting position! I started nursing Ellie right at the very end of the Late Late Show last night hoping it would entice her to fall asleep since she doesn't take a binky/pacifier or anything . ... well that time apparently worked because I woke up around 2:30 still sitting up with my back against the headboard of the bed and holding Ellie in my arms (she was asleep too). Kind of scared me a little because I hear those stories of people accidentally rolling over their babies when they fall asleep like that or suffocating them accidentally or whatever. I really think that is the tiredest I have ever been though! And Rob was gone on a scouting activity so that didn't help matters! At least today she is going on a 2 hour nap so far - thank goodness!

3 comments:

Rob and Sarah said...

Babies sleep patterns can vary alot! Jack was never much of a sleeper and we had to hold him if we wanted him to sleep. Callie had phases where she was sleeping all the time and then would have a phase when she took very short or no naps at all but every phase passes. Hang in there! She will eventually go back to sleeping and takng naps. I have fallen asleep nursing too and Jack fell off the bed when he was about 6 months because I fell asleep while nursing. He wasn't hurt but I definitely tried to be much more careful after that even though it is hard to stay awake when you are sooo tired!

Jessica said...

oh you poor, poor thing. that is exactly what was happening to me with sophie the last time i blogged. it is kind of scary when you realize that you can fall asleep sitting up. so far thats only happened to me one time and i was sitting on the couch! i hope she's better tomorrow so you can get a nap. sleep deprivation sucks. i think babies don't get on any kind of set sleep schedule till at least 6 weeks or later. around 4 months is when i was able to count on getting a set morning and afternoon nap with the other 2. until then, you just gotta snatch sleep when you can!

kristenita said...

that stinks! (it WILL get better though!) I hope you get some sleep soon - when rob gets home... or have a friend come over and let you sleep for a few hours, it's so hard being SO tired. good thing it goes "SO FAST," you will eventually feel more caught up on your sleep.

swaddle swaddle swaddle... we thought chase hated being swaddled, because he fought it at first, but aaron started wrapping him up tightly & he now he wakes himself up less.