Sunday, April 29, 2007

$25

It's amazing how $25 can make such a huge difference! For a long time now I've really hated our family room. It's slowly gotten a little better as we've added new couches and a new tv but it's just never really worked overall for me. I have never liked the paint color that Rob picked out for the area (it looks like Silly Putty to me) but I've just never known what to do with the room. I finally decided that it just needed some extra color on one wall so I went to Home Depot and got a bunch of paint chips and put them on the wall I wanted to paint. I left them there for a week until I decided what color I really wanted to do. (Thankfully I have a fabulous husband who learned that everyone is happier if he just lets me do what I want with the house). Last week I went back to get the paint color (which happened to be on sale) and all the painting supplies. I went with a color called Cinnamon Cherry. I started with the primer on Friday and since it was such a dark color it needed 3 coats. Rob had to do the top portion since even standing on a chair I am just not tall enough. I was a little worried that the color would make the room look even smaller . . but surprisingly it seems to make the room look even bigger! I just really love what a huge difference paint can make. I know it would drive some people crazy but I have a different color scheme in almost every room in our house. The kitchen/family room/hall/hall bath are actually all done in tans, reds, and blacks. Eliza's room is light green. The office is chocolate brown. The master bedroom is a bluish/gray and the master bathroom is a bluish/green with brown accents. Anyway - now I just have to figure out what else to do with my front room to complete it.

Before:



After: (Ignore the vaccuum and other objects in the pictures - we hadn't completely cleaned up yet)


10 comments:

Christianne said...

Red really livens up a room - I think it looks great. I found out there there is a black primer you can use for bright/dark colors so you only have to do one coat. I found it in our garage and asked about it. I'd never seen anybody use black primer before but I guess they used it in our kitchen - which is red and only had to do one coat over. Pretty cool I think

kristenita said...

LOVE RED! it looks really good. especially with your cute little baby chillin' there on the couch!

Kristen Michele said...

I love it!! When I get a house, will you come decorate it for me?? :)

Heather said...

Love the Red, I did a red room in my other home downstairs and loved the change it made!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

I love the color! Good for you for doing what you want in that room. Sorry to say, but I think since you spend way more time there than your hubby, your vote counts for like two or three times his. Good job!

The Blakes said...

The red looks fantastic! Isn't it crazy what a paint job can do to a room!?

heidi said...

your pictures really POP against that new color! everything seems more vibrant! great choice!

The*Evans*Family said...

looks great lachelle! we just repainted our kitchen this past weekend. we just painted it the same tan as the rest of the house instead of yellow. nothing too exciting. maybe in another house i'll do red. i love it!

Nikki said...

Lachelle, I LOVE that shade of red! What's the name of the color? I might have to paint one of our bedroom walls that color. Great choice!

Emily C said...

Wow! I love that new red color!! looks awesome!!

We recently painted our TV/living room too. we painted it an "avocado" green color. I wish I had a before picture.