Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thrifty

Rob loves to tease me about being "thrifty". I admit it though - I love to find good deals! Every Sunday night I cut out the coupons from the Sunday paper and then play the Grocery Game (www.grocerygame.com). I'm always really proud when I go grocery shopping and save over 50%. Anyway - I went grocery shopping on Monday like I usually do at my neighborhood Fry's (Kroger in the midwest/east coast and Fred Meyer on the West Coast). I had a raincheck from a few weeks previous for 5 Coke Products for $11. A great deal! Rob loves Coke with Lime but they didn't have it in stock when I went so I got a raincheck. Well turns out they don't even sell Coke with Lime anymore but I figured I should use the raincheck anyway since it was such a good deal. I get up to the front and am checking out and we get to the end and I hand her my raincheck thing and all of my coupons. That is when everything starts going wrong! You would have thought I handed the cashier something toxic since she starts flipping out that I didn't give her that raincheck coupon before. I got a HUGE lecture about how I can't do that - they need to have the coupon before, etc, etc. Geesh. To me it doesn't seem like a big deal - void out my Coke products and then scan them again with the new price . . right? Oh no - the cashier voids the ENTIRE PURCHASE accidentally. All of my items were already bagged and ready to go and she had to take out EVERYTHING and rescan them. The poor lady behind me! If Rob had been with me he would have said to not bother with the raincheck offer but I was saving about $15 so no way was I going to walk out of there paying full price. I think I was in line at the register longer than I was actually grocery shopping. What a mess. But I did save $68 on my grocery bill that day so I couldn't get too upset!

Obviously there isn't much going on in my life when I am blogging about my grocery adventures! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My dad was always so thrifty too, and would save lots of money, money we used to play, so I think it is a great idea.

heidi said...

i love being thrifty! that is how we eat name brands!!! i'll have to try the grocery game. i have never heard of it!