Monday, June 04, 2007

Water


Now this may seem like a really strange topic but if you live in Arizona or have even visited Arizona - you will understand why this is so important. Where I grew up in Washington, we drank out the tap and it was no big deal. I dont remember ever using bottled water unless we got some for a sporting event or something. I moved to Utah and the water wasn't really my favorite but as long as it was cold and I had ice - I didn't mind drinking it. Then I moved to Arizona. I still remember the first time I got a cup out of my grandparents cupboard and filled it up from the tap and took a drink. I immediately ran to the sink and spit it out. It was the nastiest water I had ever tasted. From that point on - I became a water snob. We always have bottled water at our house. In fact one of the selling points to me on our HUD home was that it had a water purification system installed. Come to find out after we moved in that the system was so old that I could never track down replacement filters for it! (Just another reason I can't stand that realtor that helped us get this house). I've sent Rob out many times to fill up our 5 gallon water jug with filtered water and driven him crazy in the process. But all this has now changed with the installation of a new reverse osmosis system!! I can't even tell you how excited I am that I can actually fill up a glass of water from my sink and have it taste good. Such simple joys in life!

Rob was talking to a homeowner last week at one of their job sites (he runs his own Pool utilities company) and the guy was talking about how he had just bought this $500 Reverse Osmosis system for their kitchen but then decided they were going to install a water purification system in the whole house and not just the kitchen. They didn't really want to bother with returning this system so they asked Rob if he wanted it. I still laugh that someone wouldn't want to bother returning an item that cost $500 but I guess when you are building a pool in your backyard that costs as much as my house . .. you aren't really worried about money! At any rate - I'm excited for my water. :)

3 comments:

Erin said...

I TOTALLY understand. Living in AZ and now TX I now call myself a water snob. I never drank the water there from the tap and don't like to here either. I dream of the day I can get an RO system. It seems the money can always be spent somewhere else though! I'm jealous and you're lucky!

kristenita said...

yummy! gross water is GROSS! it's nasty in florida, too! and yummy in colorado.

tooth tip: just make sure to use a fluoridated toothpaste - maybe even get a perscrption strength one from your dentist or hygienist... because the reverse-osmosis filters take all the fluoride out of the water too.

Kristen Michele said...

I hate nasty water too! We have one of the Crystal Springs water tanks in our house. We would die without it! It's so awesome since the water is delivered each month to our door, so we don't have to mess with refilling the bottles. Plus it makes the instant hot water for cooking! We rarely ever buy bottled water anymore and we never drink the tap water. I'm not even sure how Gig Harbor's tastes since I've never tried it. Oh by the way, Javier's sister just moved to Arizona last week. She just graduated from college and is going to be teaching at Littleton Elementary School down there.