Thursday, January 10, 2008

200

It's my 200th Post!! I think it's time to redo the layout again. I will have to work on that.

I need some advice from fellow mothers out there. Have you found any cabinet locks that REALLY work? We bought some from Wal-mart (maybe this was our first mistake) and installed them and they seemed to work pretty well for the first couple of weeks. In fact - I even had a hard time getting them open! But, Eliza has figured out that if she keeps pulling long and hard enough . .. the cabinets will eventually open and she has free access to everything inside. So far this week she has managed to break 2 glasses and a bowl in a mere matter of seconds.

Yesterday I thought she was taking a really long afternoon nap since I wasn't hearing much noise coming from her room. I finally decided to check on her and realized that she had pulled in all of these clothes that I was ready to put into her closet into her crib. I should have taken a picture but just imagine this huge mound of clothes!

After clearing off all of the books on the bottom shelf in the office - what else is there to do but climb into the shelf?


And you think after having one taste of dog food she would have had enough - but nope. I discovered this lovely surprise this morning. I sometimes wonder if I am doing a horrible job parenting that my child keeps eating dog food. But to my credit - my dogs had been fed two hours earlier and they NEVER leave food in their dishes (my dogs LOVE food). For some reason one of them didn't finish their food so Ellie decided to help.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Ahh! Sounds like Eliza is keeping busy and you even busier. It does get easier...and then you have another one. I have cabinet locks that work great. You can get them at Walmart or Target--they carry 2 different kinds, you have to get the ones with the springs--my kids cannot get those open, they work really well. They're Safety 1st cabinet and drawer spring latch and come in a 7 pack--hope that helps. Adam hasn't even figured out how to open them yet and he is 3 1/2(of course he isn't interested in them by this age, that's Logan's job now). Good luck. Ellie is so cute and into everything. I had to also get an oven latch when I first moved to this house with Adam b/c it was so easy to open, our last house wasn't. Logan has broken my dishwasher by opening it and standing on it and jumping--nice huh?

kristenita said...

my friend has these AWESOME magnetic locks that you have to use this magnet key thing to open. they have them at lots of pediatricians offices - in the rooms so kids can't get into the cupboards. anyway, you install them into the cuboard/drawer & the knobs are nice & LOOK real & non-kidsafe. but you CANNOT open them without this nifty magnet key-thing! (you leave the "key" on your fridge so it doesn't get lost...)
I'm not sure what they're called but I've seen them at babies r us. good luck!

Nikki said...

That is so funny! Look at the expression on your dog's face! Like, "I was gonna eat that..." And Eliza is so overjoyed at finding this new treat. So cute.

Hadley Family Clan! said...

Ellie cracks me up. She looks like she is having so much fun all the time and of course that's because she is being "naughty":) I have decided that children LOVE to do things they know they shouldn't and then they have a faboulus day. In regards to locks, I haven't bought any yet, but if I hear of any I will let you know. Brooklyn walks all over the place and it's a new adventure with her everyday too....and they said the newborn stage was hard!

Crystal said...

Hi Lachelle, I'm so glad you found me and left a comment on my blog. Sorry it took me so long to return the favor. Eliza is so adorable. You think she can get into things now, but just wait until she is walking and can reach everything! Don't worry, soon after that, she will be able to start understanding when you explain that some things are off limits. Being a mom is so hard sometimes, but I'm sure you're great!

Christine said...

Okay - being that I have had the privelege of being the "mom" to 25 kids I'm pretty sure I know what works and what doesn't. Not to sound too full of myself. Anyway - you need to go to Home Depot and buy "Tot Locks" they are magnetic and can only be opened with the heavily magnetic key. They are pricy and you cannot take them off the cabinets when you leave - they are permanent. But they work the best and will keep her out of everything you use them on.