Sunday, January 27, 2008

Girl's Night

Last night I met up with Nicole and Shay and Shay's sister-in-law for a much needed Girl's Night. We saw the movie "27 Dresses" which is a typical chick-flick but I loved it even with all its cheesy moments and predictable story lines.

I've been feeling a little down lately - I'm reminded every day how much I miss my mom but some weeks and days are definitely harder than others and I find myself feeling really lonely and depressed. On top of that I don't have any sisters, so . .I have to rely on my girlfriends to listen to me and give me advice, etc. I feel like I've been blessed with so many wonderful friends throughout the years so I have no reason to complain! But this last year of being a mom - I've neglected to set aside time away from Rob and Ellie to actually enjoy "girl time" with my friends. I don't know if I'm the only one that does this but it seems like time is short between caring for Ellie all day, keeping the house clean, cooking, exercising, doing my Church calling, spending time with Rob, etc. I forget that I need to set aside some "me" time. Not to make myself sound like a martyr or anything because I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything in the world. But this year - I'm going to try and make it more of a priority to set aside time for "girl nights". I know it makes me a better wife and mother since it seems to refresh me and keep me sane. Anyone else feel that way? And thankfully I have a wonderful husband who is more than willing to watch Ellie while I go and do these things.

9 comments:

kristenita said...

girl time is SO important. I feel the same way. you just have to schedule it in or it is so easy to skip taking care of YOU. sometimes I don't even feel like going - too tired, too cold out, whatever... but I find that if I go play with the girls I do feel so much better. I totally believe life is all about balance. and it is not selfish to keep YOURSELF in balance, too.

I'm sorry you're feeling down... you are welcome in NY anytime... or on my blog... love & miss ya!

Jessica said...

amen! every wednesday is my girls' night out. it is a totally needed break from the daily grind. i'm so sorry that you've been feeling down. its too bad the whole rogers hall posse doesn't live closer.

as for 27 dresses, i totally loved it too! despite the fact that yes it was totally predictable, and a lot of the actors in it were not that great, but james marsden's character was so funny and cute, that he made the whole movie in my book! :)

on a side note, can you believe ellie is almost 1?? what kind of birthday plans do you have for her?

Nikki said...

Yes, I agree with you that girl time is supposed to be a part of our lives, no matter what stage we find ourselves. While spouses and children always take first priority, we must give ourselves that much needed outlet that can only be satisfied through other women. I'm so grateful for your friendship. Even though we live in different states now, I cherish the friendship, wisdom and support I get from our conversations together and keeping in touch with blogs. I think you're brilliant for going on an outing with girlfriends. I think I must have been feeling desperate and that's why I went to basketball.

My mom feels blue just like you do... she lost her mom at 16. Now my mom is in her mid-50's but she never stops missing her mom. Mercifully there are things that help, or lessen the sting, one of them being wonderful girlfriends who will keep her company when she's feeling down. Another, that my mom ALWAYS talks about, is finding ways to serve. But she wasn't able to do much of that when she had babies. She had to wait 'till we were all a bit older.

AnaleeCuller said...

please call me when ever! I miss talking to you! I need girls nights too! I never do it. and charlie still sees his buddies. call me :)

Spitzer Family said...

I totally understand the not having enough "me" time! I think almost every mom does! Those girl's nights out are so importnat, but so are date nights! We never really got out on dates until McKinley was about 1. We just never knew who could babysit, or could afford it being in school and all. It is also so important to have good friends! I can't ever compare myself to you, but I have lived far away from my mom for 10 years now, so having good girl friends is so important to me! You are such a strong, amazing woman to have experienced so much-always remember that you deserve your "me" time!

Christina MC said...

Amen, sister!
I'm a firm believer in self-time, spouse-time, immediate family-time, rest-of-the-family time and friend-time.
And of course there is never enough time to have all of these but we can always try.
I think each relationship fulfills a different part of who we are.

Hadley Family Clan! said...

My friends from college get together once in a while and have girls night out. It really is much needed. It doesn't mean we love our children any less, it's just mom's need some time out with the girls. I am thankful for our friendship and you are an amazing mom to Ellie. She is so sweet and I am always here if you need to chat...oh wait when I call you probably figure you will be on the phone for 30 min since I don't stop talking:)sorry about that:0

The Blakes said...

I totally support girls nights for the psychological good that it does! I even joined our ward apron club just to be part of a network that revolves around girl time, and I'm not even into sewing that much!

Alisa said...

I want to see that movie. I never get to go on girls nights out anymore. Thank you for helping me be more grateful for my mom and sisters. If I didn't talk to Erin 1-6 times daily, I would be WAY lonely. I do have other plenty of other trials.