Sunday, April 06, 2008

Conference

I have a whole new appreciation for my parents dragging us to the Stake Center as kids to get us to watch General Conference (since it wasn't available on tv). It was a very different experience this year to try and keep Ellie entertained while watching and we were able to do that at home! I am amazed at how much I was still able to feel the spirit though and to hear the talks that I felt were directly to me. And I'm grateful that I was able to record the talks as well so I can go back and listen to them again.

It was wonderful to hear President Monson speak as our prophet of God and to feel that confirmation that he truly is just that - a Prophet! I've always had a great love for him and can vividly recall some of my encounters with him. One of them (that Shanna was able to experience with me) was when we were at BYU and Shanna's parents got us up to President's Box at the BYU Football Game (we really weren't supposed to be there). There were many of the General Authorities up there and somehow we ended up talking to President Monson in the back of the big room. I was surprised at how TALL he was and how friendly he was to us. He proceeded to tell us some stories that I can't even remember but I know he kept making us laugh. Then his cute wife Frances came over and called him "Tommy" and told him to stop talking to us so we could watch the football game. It was cute but we of course wanted him to keep talking to us! And his conclusion in conference today to love our spouse and children.

I had tears streaming down my face through Elder Ballard's talk that I'm sure touched all of the mothers out there. It hit me even stronger to realize that only 3 years ago - that sweet man was giving my own mom a blessing while she was in her last stages of cancer. I know Elder Ballard was inspired to give that talk to Mothers and remind us of so many things. I know I have a whole new perspective of my role and new goals for myself so I can enjoy the moments with my kids and not worry so much about things that aren't as important.

And Elder Bednar's reminder of the power of prayer and how we can make it more powerful and meaningful to us. Ellie was playing with one of her really loud toys and even with the chaos going on, I was still hit so strongly with the spirit and I know that is a talk I need to study more in depth in a more quiet hour.

Isn't it funny how fast Conference seems to go by now that we are older? I still remember as a kid that it seemed like each session was 6 hours long. Anyway - what were your favorite talks?

5 comments:

Christina said...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Elder Ballard's talk was for ME! It was amazing.

Crystal said...

I also loved Elder Ballard's talk and want to read it again. I was pretty distracted with the two kids during a lot of conference, but I really enjoyed the many testimonies of the truthfulness of the gospel and the sacred mantel of the prophet.

Shanna said...

I was thinking about the time we met Pres. Monson too and wondering if you remembered it - so thanks fo reminding me of it again! I want to go back in my journal and read the entry I wrote that day about it (too bad its at my parent's house!) I loved President Monson's Sunday morning address, and his closing words about his wife and family. I also loved Elder Ballard's talk - even though I am not a mom yet - it made me really anxious for that day to come!

Erin said...

Those are the 3 talks that really hit me too. I felt Elder Ballard's talk was an answer to prayers. And yes, I loved Pres. Monson's as well. It was a little bit different experience for me as Billy was out of town and I had both kids. I did my best. I sat there wondering how other mom's do it w/ all their kids running around, not quite old enough to listen. It was a struggle for me. Alisa reminded me that's why they have it available in so many different ways. I always come away with new goals in mind but also that I am not measuring up. I can remember as a young girl my dad was Bishop and I always wondered why my dad didn't sit w/ us like other dads--reminded me of Pres. Monson's talk--funny.

Nikki said...

Thanks for sharing. Those are the same three talks that touched me the most. That is so special that elder Ballard gave your mom a blessing. He really was the right person to write and give that talk.

I've had a couple encounters with Pres Monson too, before he became president, and I've always been astonished at his outgoing warmth and interest in other people, no matter who they are. the last time we ran into him, he took an interest in Alex and called her "Svenka Flicka" which I believe is Swedish for pretty girl or swedish girl...