Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Future Mountain Climber?

I don't know if Eliza inherited her Grandpa White's love for Mountain Climbing - but she is sure practicing on every piece of furniture in our house.

It started out with trying to climb out of her crib (actually she did succeed at this) - so we lowered her crib and she still tries and comes pretty close to succeeding! Usually this is the result at the lowest setting of the crib (just imagine the screaming that comes with having a leg stuck up high - it usually happens really early in the morning):

Then we have the climbing up on the couch to look out the window. The couch is soft but not when you try and climb OVER the couch and hit the tile or small bit of carpet below. I've resorted to taking off all the cushions during the day and laying them on the floor for my little girl to jump on all day.

Next we have the kitchen table. Eliza has figured out she can climb up on the chair first and then reach the top of the table. Her favorite thing is to stand up on the table and do a little dance while I'm racing across the room to grab her before she falls off. Smart little girl even knows to push chairs over to the table so she can climb on them (I tried to move the chairs against a wall to prevent the climbing).

We went over to Nicole's to visit her and her darling new little boy Broc and Ellie was much more interested in climbing up the stairs in her house than touching the baby. She actually even managed to come down a few steps by holding onto the railing.

Honorable mentions for optimal climbing surfaces include the entertainment center, ottoman, and storage cubes.

Every time I work out at the gym - I remind myself that I'm just getting myself more prepared to do flying leaps across the house to save my child from whatever high perch she has managed to get onto!

6 comments:

Kyle said...

When Sammy was a baby...my husband was "babysitting" and Sammy got her leg stuck in between her crib bars and my husband RIPPED the bar out...I was so mad at him. I guess I had never told him that she sometimes gets her leg stuck so he panicked and tore our crib apart..AHH! Anyway, watch out for those climbers..they get into some trouble :)

JTA said...

That crib picture cracks me up. It takes skills to get your leg stuck like that.

Hadley Family Clan! said...

Ellie is so entertaining. She makes me laugh and the picture of her leg stuck in her crib is so funny. Good thing you were their to "rescue" her so that she didn't have serious injuries.

Christina MC said...

Try to think of Ellie as adventurous instead of death-defying. Though, I think I would faint if I saw my child dancing on top of the kitchen table. I love the pics you are able to get amidst the instinct to save your child.

The*Evans*Family said...

Sounds like you have a monkey on your hands! Carson is the exact same way. I'm sure some people think I'm a terrible mom because I hardly react anymore when I find him on high places. Leave it to my kid to fall off the couch and break a limb though!

The Becks said...

Thank goodness Tori isn't a climber. You are busy. I just love the way you write... always cracks me up! You definately have your hands so full with Ellie.