Monday, April 07, 2008

My Mom

Today is the 3 Year Anniversary of my mom passing away. Spring Conference always reminds me that it is coming since it was the last weekend that I was able to spend time with my mom. I've come to an even greater appreciation of my mom each year but more especially now that I'm a mother myself and realize all that goes into it! I hope that I can someday be the kind of my mom that she was - because I remember all the fun things that she did with us growing up and how her kids always came first. In her last letter to me - she told me how much she loved being a mother and it was her greatest joy in life. I always think about that when I have hard days and it reminds me to not stress so much about the little things (like a clean house) and enjoy time with Ellie more. It goes hand in hand with Elder Ballard's talk yesterday! So today - Ellie and I are going to do some things that remind me of my mom and just have fun and create some happy memories. And I'm taking the day off from cleaning and cooking and probably answering my phone too. :)


I hate to even use this picture because this is not how I picture my mom. She was in her last stages of cancer at my wedding and very jaundice and retaining water from the disease. But my scanner isn't working right now so this picture will have to suffice for now.

14 comments:

Christina MC said...

During conference I thought of you and my heart hurt for your loss. Just by knowing you I know your mom must have been an amazing person. I think it's sweet that you're taking a day to remember her. There's no way that she isn't aware of just how much you love her. I know you're a strong person, but I'm here if you need anything....

LaurenOpie said...

Lachelle, can I just say honestly you are the strongest woman I have ever met. I admire you so much. That's great what you're doing today with Ellie. Good for you! Aaron I thought of your during Elder Ballard's talk too, when he was advising bishops and ward councils not to overwhelm young mothers, we were remembering when you got called to be Primary President just as Ellie was born (if I'm remembering correctly..). Anyway you're awesome!

Claire said...

I hope you and Ellie have a wonderful day creating memories together!! I'm sure its not easy, but I really admire how positive you are about the experiences you've had in your life.

Nikki said...

Even with all your mother is suffering from in this picture, she looks so beautiful and happy. Thanks again for sharing, Lachelle. I'm going to go play with my little girls today and make more special memories. :)

heidi said...

i love the posts your write about your mother. they give me so much perspective on mothering and how i want my children to think of me. they give me the drive to do more and be better.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I remember freshman year when your mom sent us all easter candy. I thought that was so sweet especially because she had never met me. I sure appreciated your thoughts on motherhood. I am feeling the joy and the weight of the calling too. What a wonderful time of life.

Michelle said...

Lachelle, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your mom. I always loved the example your mom set, and the memories that you share remind me of them. She was and is an amazing lady! I agree with Nikki though, because your mom looks so happy in the picture you posted. Thanks for reminding us of the things that are important in life.

Uffens Family said...

Lachelle...that was so touching to read and I am grateful that I knew your mom and there are so many lives she touched including all of my family. You are one strong woman and such an example to me because of everything you have been through and how strong you are...thanks for being an inspiration.

Chalyce said...

You really do a lot and are a great mother. I miss being around you and I hope someday I can be a mom as well. Thanks for sharing about your mom. I know its not the easiest thing for you in the world, but you are leaving a great legacy for her. Love you.

Kerrie said...

Lachelle, I love you. You're a wonderful mother and I'm so sorry you lost yours so young. How great that she will be the one to welcome you to heaven though. Thanks for sharing these tender feelings.

Heather said...

Lachelle, I only met your mom twice, but I remember telling Allen how amazing I thought she was!! When we visited her the last few weeks before she passed away, I remember her taking me to her computer and showing me all your wedding pictures, she was SO Proud of You!

Anonymous said...

Lachelle,
Your mom was such a wonderful example to me of a loving, dedicated mom. We were thinking of her and of you on April 7th as we remembered her beautiful smile and strong spirit and testimony. I know she is so happy to know you are following in her footsteps.
I look forward to seeing you when you visit next month.
Love, Beth

The Burtons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Burtons said...

Lachelle, your mom was my all time favorite church leader growing up. She was always patient,me and Maile where WILD, made the best treats, and helped develop my love of broadway musicals by introducing me to Westside Story. Not only was she an amazing mom to you but awesome leader and example to me.