Monday, April 14, 2008

Working Out Again

I've basically been on a hiatus from working out ever since I got pregnant and was too sick to do it. I've been to the gym a few times a week here and there but not consistently since I had Ellie. Pretty crazy to me since I've always been a pretty avid exerciser! I ran cross country all through high school, continued running in college and for a while after and even ran a half-marathon a few years ago. Time is a little more scarce when you have a little one and since the weight came off from the pregnancy pretty fast (not to any of my credit but to the amazing genes I inherited from my parents) . .. I haven't really been too motivated. I'm trying to change that though! My dad signed me up for a 10k race next month when I go home to visit to run with him and my brother. Considering 3 miles is about as far as I go these days - I have a lot of work to do in the next month! I think it's just the motivation I need to get back in shape.

I weighed all the options and finally decided that as much as I hate getting up early - the only way I'm going to have a consistent workout schedule is if I get up an hour before Rob has to leave for work in the morning and get it taken care of them. It was actually great considering the sun was already up and it was in the high 60's here. The gym was very quiet at that time and I liked that I could be in my own zone! I enjoyed having some "me" time to start the day and I've already gotten a lot done today since I was so awake when I got home.

I am looking for some new workout songs to add to my ipod workout mix - any ideas? Also - I'm trying to figure out how use some resistance bands that I've owned for a few years. Does anyone know any good workouts to do with them?

6 comments:

Claire said...

Lol! I so could've written this whole post!!! Scott and I started going back to the gym about two weeks ago and as much as I love working out with him, I am still majorly lacking motivation!

iPod songs... I work out to anything Aerosmith. Christina Aguilera "fighter" is good too. Resistance Bands... look on sparkpeople.com. They have a bunch of exercises. I know how to use resistance bands, but I don't know how to explain it!

heidi said...

keep me posted on how your 10k training is going. i am training for one too and i am stuck at three miles. i am so bored on the treadmill and i can't imagine running and pushing both kids in the stroller. i would die.
as far as ipod songs, britney spears-stronger. i know it's lame, but it helps!

Christina MC said...

My favorite workout song is actually instrumental - it's called "Clubbed to Death" from the Matrix soundtrack. It's nearly 8 minutes long and keeps you really moving the whole time. I also like r&b songs with great beats in the back (artists like Ciara, Neo and Rhiana). I still am amazed that people actually run - for fun. Anyway, good luck!

Kyle said...

Good for you! I have the opposite problem...I work out all the time and never loose any weight! It totally stinks!
I love "mr brightside" by the killers..for some reason it totally pumps me up and I love to listen to it when I work out!
Good luck!

Mallory said...

My next apt is tomorrow... so i am really excited to go and hopefully get great news that i will be having my baby within a few days! :)

Alisa said...

Good for you! Its hard to do all of that exercise and get up early. I respect a person who works out all the more when they are thin and don't have to do it to stay that way.

As for where I delivered Sam yes it was at Banner Desert! I can't believe you know who the Dr is. How do you know about him?

Also I would love your Cheescake recipes-- absolutely. Whether you email- or post it on your blog either one is great. Let me know what your favorite is.
I have been meaning to tell you these things, but I haven't been blogging so much. Erin came out here to visit and we were of course very busy shopping and stuff. Also we have been working on our kitchen remodel among other life things.