Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cemetary Fun

Normally the words cemetary and fun do not go in the same sentence . .. but if you grew up with a cemetary in your backyard like I did - you might agree with me! Growing up my brothers, friends and I would play in the cemetary behind our house. We would hop the fence and play in all the leaves from the huge tree, climb on the tank in the military section, and run on the paved paths. It was basically like a huge playground to us! For some reason - it didn't seem to bother us that it was a cemetary and that people might find it creepy.

My mom was buried in this same cemetary and on Mother's Day we hopped over the fence and walked to her grave. Ellie of course didn't understand what we were doing there so after we put flowers on my mom's grave - she looked at it for a little bit and then took off and had some fun. I like to think my mom would probably be laughing and doing the same thing if she were there! It's also always a comfort to go there and reminded of how grateful I am for the blessings of the temple, Eternal Families and for the knowledge I have that I will see my mom again one day.

Walking with Uncle Kory

It's cold here!

Cleaning off the headstone

My mom's headstone

Twirling around with my Aunt Kelley

Playing in the flowers

Grandpa White helping throw the flower petals

Look closely at Ellie's mouth - she always makes this expression and makes me laugh every time

6 comments:

Christine said...

Cute pictures! It's nice to be able to take Ellie to your mom's grave site. Eventually she will just as appreciative of it as you are. I'm glad that you were in Washington for Mother's Day as well. I miss seeing you and we need to get together soon.

Erin said...

You are right, we used to play, run, and ride our bikes in the cemetery never really thinking what it really was. That is nice that you guys went on mother's day there. And Ellie looks so tiny, like a little doll walking around--too cute.

Sarah W. said...

Whenever we visit my grandmother's grave, our kids always run and play, and climb on her headstone. Just being kids too. I think my grandma, and your mom, LOVE the fact that we show our love for them still, and teach our kids about them. If they were here with us, they would love being climbed on and played with too...

Claire said...

The mirrors are from Home Goods... $20 each! Is there a Home Goods near you? They just opened one a few miles north of us and I LOVE it.

Spitzer Family said...

What a great way to celebrate your mom on mother's day. Ellie looks way too cold not being in sunny Arizona!

Hadley Family Clan! said...

How sweet that you were able to be home for Mother's Day and go to the cemetary. I love the words you wrote that you all hopped over the fence just like when you were younger. Very sweet moments. I love the beautiful flowers too.