Monday, May 12, 2008

Tacoma 10k Race

I mentioned a few weeks ago that my dad had talked to me into running a 10k race when I was home in Washington. I started working out a lot more faithfully at the gym and felt like I could do alright. Well, I was in for a rude awakening when I got up here last week and went on a run with my dad. I quickly realized that working out in a gym is NOT equal to running outside. I was huffing and puffing within a mile! Oops. But I still decided to do the race and just lowered my expectations for myself. I am happy to report that I did finish and even did better than I thought I would! It was a very hilly course in Tacoma but also beautiful at the same time. I ran around a park that I did cross country races at in high school and down near some homes that have been in movies and had beautiful views of the water. I really enjoy racing for fun rather than the high stress racing that I did in high school. I am going to have to wait for the hot summer months to end in Arizona and then sign up for a few more races! My brother Kory (the brother that just got off his mission a few days previous) held his own and beat my dad on Saturday. They both got first place in their age divisions!


At the starting line


After the race looking down over the finish line



Immediately after the race - love the red face and how tired I look!

5 comments:

Claire said...

Congrats on the race!! I want to do some local races... maybe if I get motivated to get in shape, we could run a few together!

Uffens Family said...

Way to go Lachelle...that is a huge accomplishment! Go get yourself a Krispy Kreme :) Beck (my sister) ran the 1/2 marathon in that race...16 weeks pregnant...I have to get back on the wagon fast after this baby :)

Christine said...

Great job - that was enough running for me too. Thanks for doing all the hard work for me. :) And good thing you ran it in Washington - I'm pretty sure you'd die here in AZ. I am jealous that you went home and I am not going for a while now. Let me know when you get home so we can get together with the kids. My girls are out of school in 2 weeks. YIKES!!

Ashley Dent said...

That's amazing that you finished! Seriously, I am thoroughly proud! I wouldn't have lasted 1/4 of a mile. I'm a weinie when it comes to running! You're amazing!

Erin said...

Hey, I just did a 10k 3 weeks ago and had a week and a half to train for it, it about killed me too. I hadn't run more than 3 miles pretty much since I did my half marathon last year. How did you do? I got about an hour but it wasn't chip timed so don't know my exact time. Good job.