Friday, September 19, 2008

19 Months and Growing

I've been meaning to post all week but it's been a busy week! Ellie is 19 months old this week and I needed to get some things documented so I don't forget them.

A couple months ago I bought this small wooden table and chair set for Ellie. I've seen all of these people use chalkboard paint on HGTV and wanted to try it out for myself. I decided this table was the perfect place to try it out on! So I painted the whole table black and then painted the top of the table with the chalkboard paint (you can actually get the paint tinted in may colors but I wanted it black). I love it! One day I hope to have a playroom where I can use chalkboard paint all over but for now this works.


In conjunction with the new table has come a love of coloring or in Ellie's words "cowering". She wants to "cower" all the time. And let me tell you how grateful I am to Crayola for inventing WASHABLE crayons. I try to keep the coloring to the table but I think I've found crayon marks all over the tile, walls, etc in the front room/kitchen area. But it wipes off so easily that it's not a big deal at all!

I've gotten back into running lately with the purchase of a jogging stroller off a Craigslist and with the help of my friend Karlie who has helped me decide to train for a marathon in May. We've been going running a few mornings a week together and I realize just how much harder it is to run while pushing a stroller. I'm no where near the shape I need to be in but I'm hoping to start logging more and more miles as the weather cools off more here. Ellie and Karlie's boy Sam get to play together for a little bit after our runs while we stretch so they enjoy that part of it and Ellie likes being outside again. (We still spend most of our time indoors since it's hovering in high 90's).

Ellie has been amazing me with her vocabulary growth lately and learning of new skills. It seems like for a while she was stuck on the same 20 words but now she adds new ones on a daily basis. Which makes it fun for me to try and figure out what all of the words mean! My favorite thing lately is that she has finally started to fold her arms for longer than a second while we say our prayers. While I was saying the prayer over dinner last night I couldn't help but laugh in the middle because she started saying her own prayer during mine - Rob and I both opened our eyes and she was there with her head down, arms folded and all trying to express her own thoughts. This age has been so fun for me because I love seeing how much she copies everything we do. Not to mention it's a great lesson to me on some of my habits that I don't want her copying. It really hadn't hit me just how much of an example I am in everything for her and makes me want to be better. And I love that I have a little helper now also. She wants to help me vacuum and dust and pick up everything which is awesome! It's fun to have a little buddy with me everywhere.

Ellie has also become much more of a Daddy's girl also. Most people know that from day one - she's kind of preferred her mommy. But now Daddy is who she asks for when she wakes up in the morning and all day long she wonders where he is. When I tell her that Daddy will be home soon - she runs to the front window and climbs up the couch and looks out the window for him. I can tell when his car pulls in because she laughs and laughs and gets so excited and goes barreling off the couch to greet him at the front door.

I took this picture 4 weeks ago AFTER her first day of nursery where I think she cried most of the time. I needed to document it but forgot to get the picture when her dress was done up and she was happy! She's still not really quite sure if she wants to be in there yet but there are great leaders and her friends to have fun with so I'm sure it'll be more fun for her eventually (and I think she only cries for a few minutes now).

10 comments:

LaurenOpie said...

Can't believe how big she is! She is so cute, and it's so fun for me to read your blog and think this time next that's about where Olivia will be. That's fun that you guys are still running. I seriously almost died that one day that I joined you, lol! So as soon as it cools off I'll start again, for now I'll stick to swimming and wiifitting :) But good for you guys! Almost wish I could join you, but I know I honestly wouldn't find the time to drive there every day then run then drive back even though it's not even that far I know I'd find way too many excuses. I need to get better about that.

Christine said...

Ellie is SO cute! I love the dress in the last picture - it makes me want to have a girl. :( Sadly - I think we are done with babies. And I want to know where you got the table and chairs - I am so stealing that idea.

Jessica said...

so many things to comment on! first off, i love the idea of chalkboard paint. the table is super cute, and its so funny, because for the last couple of weeks now, sophie has been obsessed with coloring, too. i'm impressed with ellie's vocab, though.

and way to go with training for a marathon while pushing a jogger. i can't even imagine doing that. but if anything it will make it seem that much easier when you get to go running WITHOUT it.

as far as the nursery goes, i think its a hard thing for first-borns especially. ethan was my only one who cried and cried when he went in. for grace and sophie it was no big deal, probably because they had someone who trailblazed the way for them.

and it is always so cute when they can start to copy off of the things you do. she is just so cute!

heidi said...

i love the table! such a fun idea!
and pushing a jogging stroller is almost as hard as child birth. for real. it makes choosing between the treadmill and the jogging stroller very difficult!

Christina MC said...

E astounds me as well with her vocabulary. She has been saying her own "prayers" at dinner time which never ceases to bring a smile to my and J's face. She even picked up "Amen" awhile ago and knows when to say it-so precious. She misses Ellie and asks for her at least once a week.

Kristen Michele said...

i also have to comment on your table....so cute!! is the table & chairs from ikea?? it looks like Mariana's. we had a family friend paint hers and its pink, blue & white with caterpillars, bees, ants and is totally cute! i think i'll buy another one and do the chalkboard paint. that's an awesome idea. our new house has a HUGE basement and i really want to just paint one wall with that paint. i just haven't been brave enough to do it yet :)

Crystal said...

Awesome table! That is a great idea to use chalkboard paint on it so she can "cower" all she wants with the chalk. Way to be creative!

The Becks said...

Ellie is growing up so fast! I love the table. What a good idea. Ginger and James had their baby about 2 weeks ago. They named him Bode (pronounced Bo-dee). We were going to come to AZ for his blessing but they are doing it the first of November and that is Crew's 1st birthday. We are now going to be planning a trip for February. We will let you know when we are coming. I am looking forward to meeting Ellie in person. She seems like a MASSIVE personality packaged in a cute littley body! By the way, were you able to see the pictures of Bode that I sent for Ginger via the hospital?

Ben and Amberly said...

Lachelle!! I love the table you painted. It is so cute and I love the chalkboard paint idea. I'll have to try that one of these days. Totally Cute.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

It is so fun to watch kids grow up and see what they learn, isn't it? It's fun to read about what Ellie is saying. She is so cute.

I will attest to running being so much harder with a jogging stroller! Don and I did a half marathon the summer of 2007. We trained without pushing a child, but had to take the baby with us on the day of the race and it was so much harder! But I figure it gets you that much more in shape, so I guess it's worth it! Good for you training for a full marathon. That is amazing!

Amy