Monday, October 13, 2008

Birthday Celebration

Last week would have been my mom's 52nd Birthday so in honor of her day, I took a little time off from the cleaning and other household responsibilities and had some fun with Ellie. My mom loved spending time as a family doing things together and I can rattle off tons of things she did to make life fun for us as kids. I aspire to do that and fear that I get a little too wrapped up in non-essential things sometimes but I'm working on it! :)

Anyway - Ellie and I had a picnic at the park. Granted it was the day that it was close to 100 degrees still but we had fun eating lunch on a blanket underneath a shady tree for the five minutes of Ellie's attention span.



Then it was off to the playground that we had completely to ourselves.


After her nap, Ellie and I watched a video that was done for my mom with pictures of her and our family to the Tim McGraw song "Live Like You Were Dying". Ellie was sweet for a couple minutes of it and even pointed at my mom and said "mama" (her term for Grandma). I try and show her pictures of my family all the time since we don't get to see them often and especially of my mom since she is named after her but I wonder if she really recognized? It was cute nonetheless. I had my cry for the day watching the video a couple of times.

Then it was off to bake some Pumpkin Chocolate Cookies. I always remember my mom making us homemade doughnuts around Halloween time but I wasn't quite ready to tackle that one yet! So we stuck with a fall treat using pumpkin and I let Ellie lick the beater when we were done with all of it. I think she liked that!




I love this cheesy smile I get from Ellie whenever I pull out the camera now! Cracks me up every time.

All in all it was a bittersweet day for me to remember my mom. I miss her every day but I am so grateful for the eternal knowledge I have of being able to see her again one day. And I'm so grateful to be a mom to a beautiful daughter and follow after my mother's wonderful example!

10 comments:

Nikki said...

That is the most wonderful, touching, sweet post ever. You're such a wonderful mother, Lachelle. It's so clear that your own mother did a perfect job.

Uffens Family said...

What a wonderful day to remember your mom...although I know it is a daily thing! It is nice to spend time doing those things that remind you of her and make you feel just a little bit closer to her.
PS...Love Ellie's big cheese! Seriously...how can I get my child to do that instead of run from the camera???

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing your special day with us. It's hard to believe how the generations run into each other. Your mom was my aunt, yet only a few years older than me. I love my memories of her and the things she taught us as well. I, too, am grateful for eternal truth. It's the only thing that makes life on earth bearable some days. You're doing great at keeping memories alive, and I'm sure Ellie, and your mom, will appreciate that.

Andrew, Amy, Evelyn& Owen said...

Hi Lachelle! Thanks for saying hi on my blog. It's fun to see what you're up to. I live in very West Phoenix near Avondale, but we're hoping to move near Gilbert in the next couple years. My husband, like yours is from here. He grew up in Tempe. You'll have to let me know where you're at. How funny, we both have an Elly/Ellie...yours is a doll! I love the cheesy smile. Well, if you don't mind, I'm gonna add you to my list so I can check in on you again!
Amy
PS. Your mom was such a fun lady. I remember her always being so happy and energetic. I also remember she used to let us ride backwards in your station wagon a LONG time ago....I always thought that was so cool! :)

The Becks said...

This made me cry a little. You Mom was wonderful! She was the first one to welcome our family into the neighborhood when we were unloading the moving van. She took me over to your house and introduced me to you. That was it. Friends for life after that. Your mom was always doing the most fun things. Whenever the power went out... your house was the place to be. I have SO many fond memories of her. She was an amazing woman. I see so much of her in you Lachelle. Ellie is so lucky to have a mom like you!

Jamie said...

What a sweet thing to do for that day. I'm sure Elle enjoyed it as did your mom.

Spitzer Family said...

What a special way to remember your mom, and what a sweet little girl to spend it with! Ellie will always cherish days like that as she gets older!

Ashley Dent said...

It sounds like your mom was an AmAzInG women and she definitely raised an AmAzInG daughter. What a special day for just you and Ellie, mother/daughter! I love that you two had a little picnic!

By the way...those cookies were FaBuLoUs! Oh my gosh, they were gone so quick after you left! We decided that we need more, so I might have to get the recipe from you!

Oh, and I just found out on Sunday, i'm your visiting teacher now! Yay! I was super excited when I saw that!

Christina MC said...

What a sweet way to celebrate your mom. And don't worry, Ellie will know your mom because you take time out to remember her and do special things with your daughter.

Erin said...

wow, I am emotional right now and your mom was truly a special lady. I have to share positive experiences I have had with visiting teaching whether it be my own or someone else's at our v.t. conference tomorrow night. I have been thinking for a couple weeks about what to say. I talked to my mom, your mom was her visiting teacher at the end. My mom said your mom came 2 WEEKS before she passed away. She wouldn't let my mom come to her house, but she did stay in her car and do her visit that way. I am truly touched by her faithful dedication to her Heavenly Father. I thought you might like to hear that, something you may not have heard before.