Sunday, October 19, 2008

Prop 102 and Prop 8

I know I'm not the first one to bring up the above issues on a blog, but I feel like I need to share my thoughts on the above propositions that we will be voting on in Arizona and California (and I think Florida has a similar one on the ballot as well). I have taken lots of time to study these issues and why they are so important and feel like there are still a lot of people that are confused as to why they are important. And we had our Prop 102 sign that was in front of our house - stolen this weekend. So I know there are lot of people that are against this particular proposition!

I was reading in the Arizona Republic some articles and while I know they are not very positive about the Mormon point of view - I just want to set the record straight. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or Mormons) we've never been told how to vote on anything. It is always up to US make the decision. But we have been strongly encouraged on these particular propositions because of our personal beliefs on family and it's role as a fundamental unit of society. Prop 102 in Arizona and Prop 8 in California can have an impact on our lives for years to come so it is our responsibility to take action now.

Prop 102 (and I think Prop 8 in California is similar) is trying to redefine the constitution in Arizona to state that marriage is between a man and a woman. It's a very simple 25 word proposition. I've heard people ask well why would this matter to me and question whether we are discriminating by supporting such a proposition. Prop 8 in particular still provides for marriage-related benefits to be given to civil unions and domestic partnerships. The only thing that is different is it allows my RIGHTS and Beliefs to stay the same. This is just one video that discusses this:



Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and being in opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility towards homosexual men and women. Protecting marriage between a man and a woman does not affect our Christian obligations of love, kindness and humanity toward all people (taken from the lds.org website). I think it's very important for people to realize that we are not against people who chose to live an alternative lifestyle. The important issue is protecting our own rights. Some of the rights that we stand to lose if these propositions fail are:

- Churches could lose their tax exemptions and benefits if they do not embrace same sex unions. All donations would then be taxable.

- Schools could be required to teach both heterosexual and homosexual relations as morally neutral and further erode our ability to teach our children traditional standards of marriage. No parental permission would be required (this has already happened in other states).

- Church adoption agencies could be forced to allow adoptions to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. This happened to the Catholic adoption agency in Boston and, as a result, rather than be forced to allow adoption to homosexual couples, Catholic Charities stopped offering adoption services in that city.

- Married housing for same sex couples could be required at universities, including religious schools and universities.

Above are just some of the examples of my own rights that could be taken away. The failure of these propositions degrades the traditional status of the family as a fundamental unit of society.

The article here at: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-divine-institution-of-marriage discusses what I believe as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

And this link: http://www.azsos.gov/election/2008/Info/PubPamphlet/english/Prop102.htm takes you to the pro and cons of Prop 102.

One of the greatest blessings in my life is my family and for this reason I feel very strongly about this political issue that is at stake. Please study the issues and make a vote yes on Prop 8 and 102. And spread the word!

And for whoever stole my sign from my yard - thank you. It was just the encouragement I needed to finally write this blog post and spread the word!

7 comments:

LaurenOpie said...

I had such a discussion about this on my other blog (that I've pretty much stopped updating... lol) choosetheright.wordpress.com. What people don't understand is that marriage is a religious institution. Homosexual marriages go against what God has commanded, and so it only makes sense to me to have civil unions or whatever, but leave marriage alone! I am glad you posted this!! :)

Claire said...

Woohoo!! Go Lachelle. I'm sorry your sign was stolen, but I greatly appreciate your words. I need to be much more active in this regard. I've told Scott, if homosexual marriage becomes legal, I WILL homeschool Cecelia, because I refuse to send her into the world thinking that behaviour is in anyway acceptable. I agree with you one hundred percent- my family is the most important thing I have, and I must protect it! Thank you for inspiring me to spend some time later this evening or tomorrow morning blogging about this important issue.

Michelle said...

I just posted on this yesterday (as I am sure that you have read), but I must admit, yours was much more eloquently done than mine was!! I think that you did a great job here! Thanks for posting it.

Ashley Dent said...

Well said Lachelle! Thank you for sharing!

Nicole said...

so many people just don't get it. also, some senator on ellen degeneres show the other day said that if obama wins he wants to make it consitutional in all the states this hasn't passed in that gay marriage is legal and crap...so this is very important for us!

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

You go girl! So glad there are so many of us out supporting this. I'm glad my sign hasn't been stolen!

Spitzer Family said...

BRAVO!!!! Being in California has really been interesting to see all the hype for and against prop 8-I even saw a few battles on street corners with people holding up signs (one with an ambulance involved...) Too bad I am just voting absentee in Montana and all I can really care about this year is the Presidential vote...Good for you to get so involved. ps-sorry, but we didn't make it to El Paso this trip, much to my disappointment. We will be going through someday, though, so we will see each other again.