Sunday, May 31, 2009

Weekend Getaway

Memorial Day didn't prove to be the best day for Rob when he went shooting in the desert with some friends and ended up getting nailed in the head with a huge rock. It left him with a concussion and quite the bruise but we're lucky and grateful that he is on the mend and it didn't do much more damage.... He's been dealing with the after effects of headaches and nausea all week. I would post the picture we took but it grosses me out to even look at it so I'll spare everyone else.

But this weekend we were scheduled to celebrate my birthday and already had a hotel room that we couldn't cancel. So we left Ellie with Rob's parents for the weekend and headed out of town to Sedona, AZ. It's been on my list of places to visit for years and I'm glad we finally made it happen! The trip out there seemed long due to a lot of traffic that we hit but it was worth it when we arrived.

Our first stop was to visit this famous Chapel of the Holy Cross. It is a really amazing and peaceful building settled amongst the red rocks. And quite the popular destination and full of tourists. Very peaceful though and really gorgeous views!




We then walked around a lot of the shops in Sedona. We were amazed at how many psychic readers they have on just about every corner. We did decide to get an "aura reading" where they basically take a picture and show you your spiritual energy levels represented in colors. I was impressed at how spot on my colors were with my personality and thought process. Kind of fun!

We had dinner at a local pizza place and then headed to our hotel with a Redbox rental because there were thunderstorms and pouring rain. We missed out on the amazing sunsets that Sedona is known for but I was pretty happy with the cold weather and rain after the 100+ temperatures of Mesa in May.

Our hotel for the night was classified as a bed and breakfast but it seemed more like a luxury hotel. If you ever need a place to stay in Sedona and can find the right deal on hotels.com or expedia.com for the Adoba Grand Villas.... definitely snatch it up. The regular price for the night at this place was $500-700/night! (Don't worry - we paid like a fourth of that from Hotels.com). The place was really amazing though! Honestly - our villa was bigger than my house. And twice as nice. The bathroom was the most amazing thing I've ever seen! A jetted tub with a fireplace at the end. Double sink vanity. A waterfall shower. Separate toilet area. And every detail done to the nines! There was a fireplace in the bedroom as well with a balcony with views of the red rocks. And a whole kitchen suite as well with bread baking in a bread machine when we got in. They had tons of complimentary snacks and drinks and then we had a 3 course gourmet breakfast this morning. I think they were the best pancakes I have ever eaten! It was like a little slice of heaven to escape to for the weekend.



We didn't get to do much hiking with Rob's head still bothering him and my pregnant condition so we really just got to enjoy the peacefulness of this little city and the beauty of it. Next time we're definitely going on some hikes though!

Ellie did great with her grandparents while we were gone too so that made it even better for me to enjoy the short time away. I hit 20 weeks tomorrow so I'm about half way done with this pregnancy and I'm feeling it so much more than last time! And I feel like I look twice as big as last time too...

14 comments:

Emilee said...

Sounds like a beautifully relaxing get away! I like that you took pictures of the hotel- totally something I would do!

Shanna said...

What a perfect getaway weekend! You totally deserve it; I'm glad you and Rob were able to enjoy it, even without the hiking :)

JDS said...

The scenery is beautiful! I had never heard of Sedona before but now you have made me want to go too!

Claire said...

I want to go!!! That sounds like an amazing hotel.

Christine said...

Sounds like so much fun!! And you look AMAZING!! Barely 20 weeks - so I think you have nothing to worry about. :)

Christina said...

That place looks awesome! Your trip sounds a lot like ours a few years ago. Glad Rob was still able to go.

Erin said...

We went to Sedona years ago when I was pregnant with Adam. It was Jan or Feb I think. Somehow we got roped into doing one of the timeshare things. It was horrible! But, we STILL laugh about it to this day. We went to a pizza place there too, can't remember the name though. We didn't do too much, we should've done more and I think we would've had more fun. P.S. you still are little for 20 weeks, I feel huge!

The Wiser Side said...

Fun! You look cute as ever!

JTA said...

Glad you had fun. I want to go to Sedona now. Your baby bump is wonderful!!!

Hadley Family Clan! said...

What a beautiful place to stay. The room looks amazing and I am happy that the 2 of you were able to get away and enjoy the weather in sedona and all the beautiful views of sedona.

Spitzer Family said...

I want to go to there!!! (in case you don't watch, that's from 30 Rock) You are so stinkin' cute!!!

kristenita said...

20 weeks! you look tiny.

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

Glad you are feeling better and were able to get away. We did Sedona for the first time last year. But the next time I go I am definately staying at the place you did.

Nikki said...

That sounds like such an awesome place to go... the scenery is really breathtaking, and your villa was pretty down.

Okay, I understand that when we get pregnant, hardly any of us feel cute or pretty... but you just have to ignore your own feelings and believe me when I tell you how teeny tiny, darling, cute you are preggers!!! When I see pregnant women who look like you do, it actually makes me think it would be fun to be pregnant again. THAT's how good you look!

The rock in the head thing was SCARY! I'm so glad he's okay.