Monday, July 25, 2011

Vesicoureteral Reflux

Over the last 4 months, my poor Eliza has suffered from one Urinary Tract Infection after another. It seemed like we would clear one up and then she would get another one. After this last one, I decided to find a new pediatrician. I mentioned the repeated UTIs to her and she took a urine sample and found blood in the urine. Not really normal. So she sent us to get a bunch of tests done at the hospital. We finally had the appointment and Ellie and I headed to the Radiology center at 6:00 am.

First up was a ultrasound of her bladder and kidneys. I thought this would be the easy part but Eliza panicked at even getting up on the table. Luckily she calmed down fairly quick and it was over within 20 minutes and she was given stickers to ease the trauma pain.

Next up was a VCUG. We had to wait an hour for this next appointment (THANK GOODNESS for my iPhone or Ellie would have not lasted). The VCUG is where they put a catheter in and fill up the bladder and put dye in the system so they can see how the kidney and bladders are working. And this was NOT a pleasant experience. It took 3 people to hold Ellie down at her legs so they could get the catheter in and then I had to hold her arms. They were so good at trying to calm her down and put on the Little Mermaid for her to watch but she was having none of it. She kept screaming and blubbering and yelling to go home. But eventually they were able to get the pictures they needed and see that there was in fact a problem.

Turns out Ellie is experiencing Vesicoureteral or kidney reflux on the left side. Basically instead of urine going from the kidneys to the bladder and then exiting the body, the urine is going back from the bladder UP to the kidney again. This is not good because it can cause infections in the kidney (and that can cause a whole different set of problems). Next step is to get into a Pediatric Urologist and figure out what we can do. The options I was told are surgery or daily antibiotics. I don't like the idea of surgery for my 4 year old. And I really hate the idea of daily antibiotics when I don't like antibiotics frequently anyway. I'm hoping there is a different option and that we can get this under control. Since she is only at a level 2 of kidney reflux - it could eventually go away (with monitored treatment). I'm grateful that we finally have some answers on the frequent UTIs but a little nervous of what this now means!

5 comments:

Laney said...

Oh Lachelle that had to have been such a rough experience for you both! I hope you find a good fix and she heals completely. Poor thing!

Christina MC said...

Miss B had to go through the same tests when she was 3 months old so I know first hand how hard it is to watch your child go through that. So Sorry! but glad you got some answers. Hopefully she will feel better soon.

Jen said...

Im glad you finally have some answers for her. And hopefully this is something that corrects itself. Poor Ellie!

Nicole said...

Dang girl. That is so not fun. Good job for switching pediatricians...I swear so many of them are idiots. I have taken care of lots of kids with this in the PACU when I used to work days. Apparently it's a pretty common problem. I hope they find a good solution for you guys!!!

Tristen said...

Yikes! I hate it when I find out that something is "wrong" with my kids. I am curious as to how this might have worked out for you, as you are now a few months past this... did you opt for surgery or antibiotics?? I have to say, it's a real toss-up for me too. I think I might actually choose surgery rather than antibiotics because that is how much I am not a fan of antibiotics... can mess with diet and digestion, would rather just get it all out of the way if I had to, but it's a miserable choice to have to make. Hope it all worked out (or is working out!)