Thursday, July 26, 2012

Grandpa Robin's 88th Birthday

The main reason we went to Utah was to celebrate my grandpa Robin's 88th birthday (my mom's dad).  It had been a year since we had been able to see him and it was a good excuse to come and celebrate with him!  I invited all the Robins family that was in Utah to come and join us for cake and ice cream.  We had fun visiting and catching up and enjoyed hearing Grandpa's stories.  He showed us a map of the route the ship he was on took during the War and told us a few war stories.  It was great catching up with some cousins that I haven't seen in a while and learning more about my grandpa!

I always have considered myself lucky to have had a great relationship with Grandpa Robins (and Grandma Robins).  My mom was his only daughter and most of my life we lived within an hour of my Grandma and Grandpa Robins.  In high school, they even moved less than 10 minutes away from our house and were able to come watch me at a lot of events.  They came to my college graduation from BYU.  And they let me live in their house in Arizona after I graduated from BYU which is essentially how I ended up meeting Rob - so they helped me out in that regard as well.  I lived with my grandparents for about 6 months before I got married (the rest of the time they were snowbirds and went back up to Washington) and treasure the time I had with them.  I will always be amazed at how well my grandparents remember people from their past and keep in contact with them (Grandpa graduated from Davis High and is living in that same area again and goes to lunch with his high school friends every Tuesday!).  We always tease Grandpa about being cheap but he has always been very generous with what he has and fair in that regard!   I'm glad that I was able to take my kids up there and spend time with him and I know he loved it as well.







No comments: