Monday, August 20, 2012

Eliza's First Day of School - Kindergarten!

Eliza had her first day of school on August 20, 2012!  Colorado has what they call the "Choice" school program.  Basically you have the option of choosing to go to any school in the school district (they first let in kids that live within the school boundaries and then let other kids in).  Since I wasn't too impressed with the neighborhood school, I started doing my research on what our options were.  I had narrowed our school choices down to 3 schools.  One of them was a charter school called The Classical Academy or TCA.  Unfortunately for me - TCA had a major wait list that people put their kids on at birth!  We were so far down on the wait list that I didn't think we had a prayer of getting in.  But somehow - Eliza secured a spot!  TCA has three different campuses and we got the one the furthest away from us and an Afternoon kindergarten spot but we were just happy to get a place.  Other than the drive time and carpooling situation - I'm happy with the decision.  She is in a class with 15 other kids (8 girls, 8 boys) and in addition to their teacher they have a full time aide that stays in the classroom to help out.  She has afternoon school Monday through Thursday and no school on Fridays (another thing I love!). And the best part in my mind is the uniforms!  And Eliza loves the uniforms too.  Not sure how long that will last.

Anyway on the first day of school - I was able to go with her and help her learn where to go and how the structure would work.  My dad and Debbie were in town so they watched Chloe and Asher for me so I could go with Eliza.  She was extremely shy but considering how quiet I was growing up - this doesn't concern me.  She is in Mrs. Benson's class and Mrs. Teal is the aide.   She still loves and looks forward to going to school so I'm pretty sure it's a success!

* I learned that school supplies are expensive.  And Mrs. Benson had them take a picture on the first day of school and will repeat it again on the last day with the whole class - kind of fun.









No comments: