Sunday, November 10, 2013

Egyptian Day

Eliza's charter school does not do Halloween celebrations of any kind - but they do let kids dress up on certain theme days throughout the year.  Last Friday it was Egyptian day!  I was pretty excited about this one since I loved the time I spent in Egypt.  I even dug up my old pictures from my time there and showed them to Eliza (I don't think she was as excited!).  I thought I would be able to find an Egyptian costume on clearance after Halloween but that didn't happen.  So we had to improvise!  I took a large piece of fabric and belted it and then let Eliza borrow my red scarf that I got when I was in Egypt.  She looked more like a Bedouin than Egyptian royalty but it's all good - I spent less than $5 on her "costume" and all the girls loved her red scarf.  (And let's be honest - as long as her friends thought it was cool, I was off the hook for her lame costume!)

Since Rob happened to be home and had a flight later in the day, I was able to help in the classroom that day.  The kids went to different classrooms in the 1st grade to do different projects like making a pyramid, writing their name in hieroglyphics, making papyrus, and eating Egyptian food.  It was pretty fun although you might not be able to tell by my daughter who didn't want to cooperate for pictures!






No comments: