Sunday, June 22, 2008

Recent Happenings

Not much has blog worthy material has happened since my exciting radio win last week (which I found out that I still have to wait another couple of months to actually see that money!) but since this makes up for my lack of journal writing - I need to update it.

Ellie started her second session of swim lessons and I'm so glad that I decided to try it again! This week has been a complete change. We have a new instructor and I don't know if it was the combo of that and getting used to the water or what. But now Ellie loves getting in the water and playing. She will actually stick her face in the water but licks the water instead of blowing bubbles. I can't get her to float on her back and she still doesn't love going underneath . .. but we're making improvements. I have to watch her carefully now because she climbs out and then jumps in without making sure that I'm ready to catch her. And in even more exciting news - she will actually take a BATH! She has hated baths forever and so we've just done showers with her since I tried every way to get her to enjoy bath time to no avail. But now she likes them! The cost of swimming lessons is totally worth it if it got her to like baths. I still have to remind her to sit down in the tub (she likes to stand up a lot) but she enjoys playing with her toys in the tub and now I'm looking to add to our scarce bath toy collection. Any favorites? So far we just have little ducks and little soccer ball thing (with a net and everything).

We have our routine pretty set now with swimming in the morning and then I work with my transcription job while she takes her nap in the middle of the day. It's been so hot in the afternoon (and with the rising cost of gas prices) we have just been hanging out at home a lot and trying to be creative with our activities. Which has been fun as I realize all the little games that we can play. Our house is a little messier than ever these days (and I don't have the time to clean as much with my new job) but we're having fun and that's what matters.

Ellie seems to be breaking quite a few new teeth in as evidenced by the middle of the night waking up lately. From what I can tell it looks like she is working on 7,8 & 9 in the tooth count. Lots of fun in our neck of the woods! Ellie has figured out how to either climb/fall out of her crib and has decided over the past few days that she doesn't want to go to sleep unless she is laying down with Rob. Really weird for my child that I can normally put to sleep with no problem. I don't think we're quite ready for the toddler bed but I'm not sure what else to try. Anyone try crib tents out?


And I think due to the lack of sleep lately - we all managed to come down with colds this week. I hate when I get colds when it's 100 plus degrees outside.

I have to recognize my younger brother Trent who's going to BYU-I and decided to run in the Teton Dam Marathon a couple of weeks ago and try his first marathon. He took third place with a time of 3 hours and 13 minutes! Talk about fast! He is only a few minutes away for qualifying for the Boston Marathon after running his first one. Reminds me that I really need to get back in shape to keep up with my dad and brothers!

Saturday night I met up with one of my good friends and former co-worker Amy for some shopping and dessert at Cheesecake Factory. It was a much needed girl's night out and something I really need to be better at! I was on the hunt for board shorts and I think we went in just about every store looking for them to no avail but that's okay. Thanks for calling Amy!

3 comments:

Christina MC said...

KB Toys had those foam bath letters for cheaper than I've seen anywhere else and E has loved chewing on them. J and I are the ones that have had fun spelling with them. Also, Target has this washcloth croaking frog that she loves to splash with and listen to his croaks, they also have a duck.

The Becks said...

My kids love the bath foam letters as well. I should have put Vic in swimming lessons this year. We decided to wait until next summer. Camri did the same thing with climbing/crawling out of the crib. I am not sure how Ging broke her of that.

The*Evans*Family said...

Lots going on for you! I'm glad Ellie is liking her swim lessons better. Living in Arizona she has to get used to that. :) Depending on how messy you want your tub...Carson loves the bath crayons. They clean up pretty easy though.