Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Blind Problem

So I'm having a dilemma with my nursery. Right now Eliza is still sleeping in the bassinet in our room but we're ready to start transitioning her to the nursery and into her crib. I would like to start first with her taking naps in this room. But the problem is - her room gets tons and tons of light! I need to come up with a solution to block the light coming into that room since I'm almost positive she will go to sleep easier if it's darker in there. I'm silly though because I have that nursery decorated and I don't want to have some ugly blinds or curtains that clash. Right now I have mini blinds on the window and super cute pottery barn sheer star curtains hanging up. So any suggestions that would solve my problem but still make the room cute? Am I being unrealistic? Obviously the most important thing is her getting enough sleep.

And off topic - I've been playing with my new camera that Rob gave me for Mother's Day so I figured I should post a few pictures.

My dogs have been really good with the baby. For the most part they leave her alone and they understand that Eliza is boss and "the pack leader" (Dog Whisperer fans will get that one). Our biggest problem is just with them barking at anything and everything, getting super excited when people coming over, or forgetting that the baby is there. But I just thought it was too cute when I walked into my bedroom and Roxy had her head on Eliza's leg and was resting it there.



Eliza is getting strong enough that we can lean her against the couch and she won't topple over anymore. Which is a big deal to us! :)



For being only 12 pounds - she sure has the chubbiest cheeks I've ever seen and a darling double chin!


7 comments:

heidi said...

we have the same problem, for a while i just tapped black poster board to the window. now i have a heavy blanket over the window, but it does match his room decor so it almost passes as curtains. is there a way to tape black construction paper to the glass and then hide under the blinds, so that you only see it if the blinds are pulled up?
i agree, dark room=great sleeping!

Christianne said...

They have a fabric called sunblock or something like that and you can either sew or actually stick it to your existing curtains - maybe it is call black out fabric. I can't remember but it does exist and it blocks all the sun. I think they have different levels too but you should go to a fabric store and ask about it. Other wise you can get the cute roller shades and you can actually glue fabric to them with spray fabric glue so they blend with your color scheme

Jessica said...

that is such cute picture of ellie and the dog. i love it!

i was going to suggest just putting black construction paper on the windows. i don't know how well that would work for the long term, though. good luck!

Nikki said...

I've had to use aluminum foil and once the room was that dark, sleeping came naturally! I kept the blinds closed so the aluminum foil didn't show and the curtains were still cute. Recently, I exchanged the aluminum foil for a large piece of cardboard that covers almost the entire window and the blinds keep it up against the window. It's not as dark as it used to be but that's okay cuz Rory is older and it doesn't matter as much now. So now I can simply remove the cardboard when I want the window to look very pretty and to let lots of light in the room... and it's easy to put it back right before nap times. Just remember, Eliza won't always need it this dark... so something tacky like black poster paper or aluminum foil is okay because it's only temporary.

Kristen Michele said...

The other suggestions are all great. With my kids, I just hung a black fleece Old Navy blanket up at naptime. I just used some pushpins and then took it down during the rest of the day. It worked great! But the cardboard and black paper are also great ideas :)

Heather said...

I did the fleece blanket with my kids, but what I've wanted to do is to nail a fabric on a roller under your curtains, up top under the rod. Then you can just pull it down and cover your window when she is napping and roll it back under the curtain while she is awake. If your curtains are sheer you'll see it a little, but it hides pretty good. They make these in stores, but you could do it cheap by making your own.

rachel @ blackeiffel said...

Eliza is such a cutie!! V doesn't seem to mind the light in her room, (i have sheers too) she sleeps great.