Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Pool Fun?

Ellie still hasn't decided whether she loves or hates the swimming pool. Last weekend my dad was in town with his girlfriend Debbie and my brother Kory. They were staying at a nearby Marriott hotel so we had to take advantage of the use of a swimming pool on the hot days! We took Ellie over and at first she screamed and screamed and wanted nothing to do with the water unless she was sitting on the steps. She gradually warmed up and was having lots of fun as long as she knew that she was near the edge and could climb out and get back in as she wanted.






Yesterday though we started swim lessons with the City of Mesa and she HATES them. I thought she might be okay after our weekend in the water but nope. There are 6 kids in the class between the ages of 6 months and 18 months and mine is the only one throwing a fit. I guess I'm not too surprised since she still hates showers and baths. But the instructor (granted a high school student) acts like she has never had a crying child in her class before. Monday's class Ellie screamed for the majority of it. Today's class was a little better since we started in the shallow water and we worked on climbing out of the pool to get a toy (she was the star at that part) but she isn't wanting to stay in the water. I'm hoping by the end of the two week session she will enjoy it and not be screaming every day!

8 comments:

Nikki said...

LOL, she's SO cute! And she's doing exactly what my girls would do if I had them in a swim class. BTW, sorry about leaving in the middle of our i-chat the other day, Rory slipped and fell outside and I had to rush to her aid (huge goose egg on her noggin).

Angela said...

HI!!
How are you guys doing?
Found your blog through Christina's and it's fun to hear what you guys are up to. Funny that you were up here in WA for Mother's Day and we were down there in AZ!! Next time you are up it would be fun to see you!
The Owen fam
Our blog is kowenfam.blogspot.com

Uffens Family said...

I have to laugh because Annie is the same way...not sure what she likes at this point...I am determined it is because the pool at our house is kept at arctic temps...makes me not want to swim either :) Good luck with swim lessons...I should have done that with Annie (might have helped)! Have fun with your family!

Hadley Family Clan! said...

What's funny about your story is that about a month ago when I took Brooklyn to go swimming she wouldn't get in the pool. Then I took her again and she seriously wanted to jump in. I think being consistant and hopefully the classes will help. In fact after I get back from Girls Camp my girls are taking swim lessons as well through the city of mesa. Good luck girl.

The Wiser Side said...

hee, hee-Kennedy, who could swim at the end of last summer, this summer-would not leave her teacher's side and was scared of the water. Half-way through the class, I moved her down to a lower level class-first day she's jumping in the pool and swimming again. go figure-I'm learning to go more with the flow and just keep doing it-good luck I feel your pain

Goldthorpe Family! said...

Our twins did swimming lessons every summer since they were about a year old and there was always one or two kids who screamed and freaked out - including mine. It seems as though by the last swimming lesson in the series, those are the kids who refuse to get out of the pool. They all have to get through it - better now than when she's older!

Brett's Family said...

I took Shar swimming for the fist time just a couple days ago. She hated it! She cried when I put her feet in and she threw a full on fit when I sat her down. I guess she's too removed from the "Fish" side of the family(we do have Fish's in our family), I loved swimming. I guess you just keep trying. Really, all that matters is that Ellie looks great in her suit!

Alisa said...

Yeah Ashlin hated the water and it getting in her face etc for a long time. Swimming lessons were VERY tough when she was young. She loves it now, when she got old enough to understand it got a lot better.

Holy cow-- your dad has muscley arms-- good for him for keeping so fit even in later years. Its keeps him young and no doubt his girlfriend loves it. That is great he has someone I hope she is someone you all can like.

Remember the Matheson's and that they live next door to me now? Well thier daughter Bethany just got married today and we went to her reception tonight. Married her high school sweetheart after he got back from his mission and she just graduated college. She is so beautiful inside and out- a cute couple.