Thursday, June 01, 2006

Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration


Rob took the Young Men (Teachers Quorum) to the Mesa Temple Visitors Center to see the new movie on Joseph Smith. I haven't had a chance to see it yet so I decided to tag along. If you haven't had a chance to see this movie yet - I highly recommend it!

I didn't really have any expectations going into this movie. I figured that I've studied Joseph Smith my whole life and I know he led an amazing life and was a Prophet of God and that I would just get the warm fuzzies watching the film. I was surprised at how much it touched me. For some reason, I was really able to picture myself being there during that time period.

I tried to think of what it would be like to be Emma Smith. To know and trust your husband was doing the right thing - but at the same time questioning why you had to go through so many trials. I loved when Joseph Smith said after spending months in the cold of Liberty Jail "we had suffered, but not in vain because our hearts had been softened." It made me reflect on my own personal trials and reflect on my attitude towards them.

Joseph Smith became such a real person to me over the course of this movie. Maybe it is because we spent so much time studying him last year - I'm not really sure. There is an underlying story that goes on in the movie with a girl and her dad traveling to Nauvoo to meet the Prophet and the dad says "We don't need to meet him, to know he is a Prophet." I thought that was so fitting. And true even with our current Prophet today.

I was just so touched by this movie. I wouldn't consider myself a big crier during movies but by the end . .. I was practically sobbing. Even though I knew what was coming and how it ended!

Anyway . . I hope everyone gets a chance to see this movie!

1 comment:

heidi said...

i have seen this movie also and it is incredible. i too bawled like a baby!!!