Thursday, June 01, 2006

Kitchen Updates

Over the course of the last 17 months that we have owned this house, my kitchen has slowly but surely come together. I wish I had taken more before pictures but that just wasn't on my mind at the beginning stages! The cabinets were horrid (this is a 26 year old HUD home) and we didn't have a ton of money to replace them all . .. so my quick fix was to paint them red. Sounds crazy to many but I love them! After a year of begging . .. Rob finally let us get new kitchen appliances. We found great deals in March at the Sears Scratch and Dent Appliance center. We got everything brand new but with slight defects (like our fridge has a dent on the side but since it slides in - no one can tell and same with our oven). He didn't let me get a new microwave yet since we already had a countertop one that worked just fine (sometimes he is more practical than me!). So for my birthday last week - I asked for an overhead one and he installed it for me tonight. It was a struggle and I still need to fix the cabinets above the microwave - but I am so very excited to finally have my microwave above the stove and be able to have a little more counter space!!


New Microwave


Another Microwave Shot


And a couple of weeks ago I decided I was sick and tired of my big kitchen window having no curtains or anything. I had some leftover fabric from my sliding glass door curtains so my friend Nicole and I headed off to Home Depot for some supplies and within an hour whipped up this box valence. I don't really love it but it's going to have to do until I find some cute new fabric that will work for my kitchen windows and sliding glass doors and matches my kitchen colors. For some reason in this picture it looks slightly crooked but it's really not!


Box Valence


The last phase of my kitchen makeover is new countertops and a new sink. Look for them in a few months when I talk Rob into putting them in for me! :)

5 comments:

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

WOW!! You guys are really handy! I love the microwave and I really like the red cabinets. Did you make the sign that hangs above? I've been wanting to make a sign like that, with the cute lettering, and I've heard of Enrichment groups doing it, but I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?

Jessica said...

I love the red cabinets! one of my favorite furniture pieces is an entertainment center we bought from our next door neighbors when they moved for 25 bucks. it was the most interesting shade of green. the first thing i did was go to wal-mart and buy this beautiful shade of brick red and painted that baby. now i love it! i think red is just one of those colors that pops.

your kitchen looks awesome! keep the renovation posts coming. i love having ideas for the day when we'll finally have a house. :)

Emily C said...

Great pics of the kitchen. looks so new and clean... very nice! you are so lucky you own your house!!! i am looking forward to that day at the edge of my seat.

jessica is has been buggin me to post pics of my new little apartment...so i think you have just motivated me to get my camrera out and take some pics. the hardest part, is getting everything clean before hand.

Christina said...

New appliances look great! They are always fun.

kristenita said...

very cute red cabinets. I just can't get enough red. it has so much personality it can't look bad! and I like the valance. I'm impressed - one hour!