Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Rise and Shout the Cougars are Out




It's been a few years since I've been to a BYU football game (I think fall of 2001 before I graduated in the Spring) so when my dad suggested getting tickets to the BYU vs Utah game over Thanksgiving weekend - I was pretty excited. Due to the big rivalry . ..tickets were pretty hard to come by! But my dad found some on ebay. We were only able to get 6 tickets though and since Rob really isn't a big football fan and definitely not a BYU fan ... he opted to not go with us. So I went with my brothers Tysen and Kevin, my dad, my uncle Bob, and my Uncle David. We were stuck in the Utah student section which made things quite entertaining to say the least! We had a lot to cheer for in the first quarter but then BYU seemed to fall apart and I was getting a little worried and upset that BYU football was going to fail me. Apparently there were a lot of prayers said because in the last 1:19 of the game BYU was able to come back and score on the final play of the game! They won 33-31 and opted for the knee instead of kicking a final field goal. The best part was the almost silence that fell over the crowd. It was definitely a majority Utah crowd and I think they were all stunned! I loved it. By far one of the best BYU games ever (if only for that last minute and a half) and the best one I have ever witnessed! GO BYU! :) And I felt pretty good that I was able to remember all the words to the fight song even after I haven't sang it in 5 years.


5 comments:

CJ said...

If 2001 really was your last game, then it was the BYU/Utah game in which BYU made a marvelous comeback in the fourth quarter to keep their unbeaten season alive. It was also a game you viewed next to yours truly in the stands. Glad you got to go and have so much fun. Great game indeed.

heidi said...

we had to get info on the game from yahoo as it was not any stations out here. when the score FINALLY updated online i screamed and cried like a little girl and sang the whole fight song at the top of my lungs for everyone and all the neighbors to hear. i then put on an old, dirty byu sweatshirt that i had slept in for three days and went out to eat like i was the queen of the world.
go cougars!

kristenita said...

that was THE BEST game! I can't believe you were there for it - and in the middle of the UT section (scary!). we were at a restaurant with all our LDS friends and were totally screaming and cheering - the whole bar was like "huh, byu? where's that??" so confused! what a game.

provoce said...

Lachelle,

Good to see you're doing well - it was an AMAZING game - unforgettable! Here's the clip of the final play:

http://provociferous.blogspot.com/2006/11/big-finish_25.html

Emily C said...

Hey! Wow you were at that game! that is so cool. I watched the last 5 minutes - and glad i did. that was the coolest ending - that never happens!! at least not for the teams I route for!