Sunday, March 02, 2008

Think Again

I naively thought we were past the sickness stage with Ellie after her flu bout last week. I'm very blessed to have a normally healthy baby! The flu was her first REAL sickness and she was over a year old. Well, Friday night I noticed that she had a little bit of a fever of 100 but she wasn't acting sick at all. I gave her some medicine and she slept through the night and woke up with a similar fever. Saturday she was her crazy busy self until the middle of the afternoon when we noticed that she just wanted to sit and be held and her fever had spiked to 104.6 (only a couple hours after I had given her medicine)! Even knowing that high fevers aren't really that big of a deal and are the bodies way of fighting infections - it was still scary to see it go that high that fast. The on-call doctor at my pediatricians office suggested we take her to urgent care just in case since she didn't really have any other symptoms and he was concerned it might be a bladder infection.

We tried out the new Phoenix Children's Urgent Care that just opened in the East Valley and we loved it! It's very bright and colorful with very friendly staff. Now - I hope I don't have to visit very often but all things considering, we were glad we could take her there instead of a regular urgent care. Her fever was still really high when we got there and the doctor checked her out and decided he better get a urine test, blood test, and x-rays done. I had no idea how strong Ellie was until we had to hold her down for the blood to be drawn and for her x-rays! It was so sad. I'm glad Rob was there with me or I probably would have been crying the whole time. They concluded that more than likely Ellie has another viral infection that just needs to run its course but they will know a little more on Monday when the blood culture is tested. They gave her an antibiotic shot just in case to hold her over until Monday. So 2 1/2 hours later - we were finally able to go home!

Ellie woke up ready to go this morning and after some more medicine this morning - she is down to a regular temperature and you wouldn't think she was sick. So not sure what was going on yesterday but it gave us quite a scare! I think we'll still lay low for few days just to make sure. Too many nasty things going around right now! Although this 80 degree temperature in Arizona is making it really hard to want to stay inside. . .

*Update on Monday morning: Well, we're not through with it yet! Her temperature was all over the place on Sunday - from not having one at all to well above 100 again. I woke up in the middle of the night to her whimpering in her bed to find that she was around 103 and shivering like crazy. So sad! Hopefully whatever she has goes away soon.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I'm sad to hear that Ellie is sick again!! I'm sending all my "feel better" vibes her way. How are you coping? Its so hard to watch our babies feel yucky...

The Blakes said...

Yay for good urgent cares! I'm taking notes from your experience so I know where to go in the future. These viruses are lasting forever!

Paula said...

oh, poor Ellie. I hope she gets better soon.

stacy moon said...

I am sorry she's sick but she is so cute, and growing up so fast! It was good to hear from you!